• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! DVD Playback Stuttering in VLC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - hope someone can help with this! Working on a project in Premiere Pro CC 2018. I exported the project using the Mpeg2-DVD presets. Then I brought it into Encore CS6 to burn to a disk. When I try playing the disc in VLC it stutters or freezes midway. Initially I had upped the video quality to 100, bitrates to 8 and did VBR 2pass but when I ran into this issue I tried it with just the presets of MPEG2-DVD but it's still stuttering!

Any input would be VERY welcome!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to play dvd on a computer you need proper software such as Power DVD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Encore, Build as Image which creates an .iso (copy of the disc on hard drive). Open that .iso file in VLC and check results. If no stutters, could be the DVD media. Have you tried the DVD in an actual DVD player unit, not a computer? That is the best test.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! it plays perfectly in a DVD player but not in a computer.

Are you saying that means the physical DVD could be the issue? Or a Premiere issue? Or Encore?

Most of my customers will watch it on computer not on a standalone DVD player (and they want physical DVD's so I cant just send the Vimeo link). Any idea how I can make this work then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a SOFTWARE player means results can be all over the place - there are many software players with many options in them affecting the results, plus every computer is different (CPU power, graphics, resolutions settings). You have no control over what computer hardware and software a customer might use to view your DVD. If the DVD works reliably and consistently in a DVD player, then likely the disc is FINE.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result in VLC with iso?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ISO plays perfectly!

So it's Encore then? Or my DVD burner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the disk on another computer.

Did you try to burn the iso using something other than Encore? That should not matter if Encore is burning it.

I wonder about the playback from your computer drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer DVD players/burners do WEAR OUT and start acting up, could be that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try playing a commercial DVD in your computer via VLC. Does it stutter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Various possibilities come to mind here, given the facts as I understand them being:

1 - ISO plays fine

2 - DVD plays on a set top player

Things to check:

#1 - what is the make of the blank media you are using? Blank discs are very far from all being created equally and better quality blank media will yield better results. It is also a good idea to use a tool such as IMGBurn for all disc image creation & burning as it just does it, well, properly. Best of all, it will not let you burn at incorrect speeds - years ago it was accepted wisdom to burn at single speed, but no longer - these days it is best to burn at the minimum speed supported by the combination of your media and burner, and IMGBurn will tell you this information & use it - if you set it to a slow speed such as 2x, it will not actually write at this rate if the media & burner combo is set to 4x, so instead of allowing a bad burn it will always reset to the minimum for the combination. Don't go too fast either - that is even worse, so as long as you let IMGBurn do the work by setting to 2x and allowing it to sort things out you will be fine.

#2 - what MPEG-2 decoder is being used by VLC? If you delve into it's settings there is an amazing amount of tweakability available under the hood - try to discover what codec (MPEG-2, obviously, but what one is important) it is using & if it is available try setting a different one & see if it helps.

VLC is very complex and is a media player that can also handle DVD and some Blu-ray. It is not, and never will be, a DVD player or a Blu-ray player. These are both licensed technologies and no free player will handle these discs properly on demand. They are best effort - especially Blu-ray with it's mandatory AACS - and some discs don't work well, and with Blu-ray the menu structures won't work properly either.

You don't say what platform you are using but I am assuming Windows. The best soft player I am aware of is PowerDVD Ultra - we use this as well as recommend it for PC users (Macgo Bluray player Pro is our player of choice on Mac OS) as it handles everything we have ever thrown at it, and the Macgo people have amongst the finest software support I have ever experienced - 3 days from filing a bug report to a fixed version available to install!! Point is, a media player is one thing, a licensed Blu-ray player is quite another - almost all software players are using unlicensed codecs or libraries somewhere (which is why they are free) and may not necessarily be properly spec compliant for DVD or Blu-ray. VLC is great at what it does, but even it's developers would tell you it is not really a Blu-ray player - it s just capable of playing some streams on a disc.

Stuttery playback suggests a frame rate issue somewhere along the chain to me though. Something, somewhere is causing a bottleneck in the system - can you possibly post screenshots of the various settings pages to see if there is anything obvious? Personally I would try a trial version of one of the 2 above, depending on your platform, and see what happens with a licensed player.

I am assuming your system specs are up to it? What are you running, CPU, RAM, Graphics, HDD configs etc and how much space is left on the HDD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines