When I export images or batch export images, Fireworks always renames
      them with all lowercase letters. I don't want this, I want it to keep
      the same format as the original file. I can't see anyway to do this,
      does anyone know how to cure this?

Cheers,

Steve
        • 1. Filenames when exporting
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          What method are you batch renaming? Is this a custom script?

I suspect with the Export, it has to do with placing files on a server which (some) have strict naming conventions.

Have you tried Save As?
          h
          • 2. Re: Filenames when exporting
            Level 7
            heathrowe wrote:
            > When you Save As, you have the control over the file output 'case'. Fw will output what you put in the File Name feild area.
            >
            > What method are you batch renaming? Is this a custom script?
            >
            > h

When I export the file name it is in upper case, but when I go to the
            file it is in lower-case.

When I use a normal resize batch it leaves the file name alone, but
            changes the extension to lower-case.

Steve
            • 3. Re: Filenames when exporting
              I understood that...:)

Use Save As instead. You have control over file naming there (including Case).

The Export option is mainly for html and the such, thats why it requires lower case naming as most servers work best with this convention.

h

• 4. Re: Filenames when exporting
                Level 7
                heathrowe wrote:
                > I understood that...:)
                >
                > Use Save As instead. You have control over file naming there (including Case).
                >
                > The Export option is mainly for html and the such, thats why it requires lower
                > case naming as most servers work best with this convention.

Ahh, gotcha! Sorry :) Can you do the same with batches?

Steve
                • 5. Re: Filenames when exporting
                  How are you doing the batch?
                  Is it a custom script?

Care to share it? I am not that script savvy, but others here may be able to assist.

h
                  • 6. Re: Filenames when exporting
                    Level 7
                    heathrowe wrote:
                    > How are you doing the batch?
                    > Is it a custom script?
                    >
                    > Care to share it? I am not that script savvy, but others here may be able to assist.
                    >
                    > h

Hi heathrowe,
                    I just did a quick test with 4 files that were all in upper case,
                    including the extension. I did a normal batch, no scripts, just scaled
                    the images down to 120x120, and all of them now have lower case
                    extensions, but upper case name.

Can you do a test to see if it happens to you?

Cheers,

Steve
                    • 7. Re: Filenames when exporting
                      Yes I got the same as you.
                      However, why is it so important to keep uppercase?

h
                      • 8. Re: Filenames when exporting
                        Level 7
                        heathrowe wrote:
                        > Yes I got the same as you.
                        > However, why is it so important to keep uppercase?
                        >
                        > h

I have been asked to sort out a broken gallery that was built with PHP,
                        it used to work, but the new server its on doesn't have GD or
                        mod_rewrite. The Gallery pages when first viewed would create a
                        thumbnail on the fly and store it in a cache folder, this cached image
                        would then be used by future requests. All the gallery owner had to do
                        was upload a new folder via ftp and it the script would sort it out.

Now that it doesn't work I have recoded the page to look for a folder
                        called thumbs in each folder. For some reason they are all in different
                        cases with some upper cases extensions.

Due to the server being Apache based its case sensitive. When I batch
                        all the images to the thumb size I expected the extension to remain the
                        same case, but it doesn't. Before I start batching the rest I wanted to
                        see if there was a way to make Fireworks behave, but it looks like I
                        can't, so will have to find a program that will batch rename all the
                        extensions back to what they should be.

Steve
                        • 9. Re: Filenames when exporting
                          Ah I see.

You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case feature for batching.

h
                          • 10. Re: Filenames when exporting
                            Level 7
                            heathrowe wrote:
                            > Ah I see.
                            >
                            > You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case feature for batching.

I think I will give that a go tonight. Would you know if it can do
                            multiple folders worth at a time? I am trying to be lazy so that I don't
                            have to do one folder at a time. Only thing is each folder needs to
                            output to its own thumbs folder.

Steve
                            • 11. Re: Filenames when exporting
                              Level 7
                              Dooza wrote:
                              > heathrowe wrote:
                              >> Ah I see.
                              >>
                              >> You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case feature
                              >> for batching.
                              >
                              > I think I will give that a go tonight. Would you know if it can do
                              > multiple folders worth at a time? I am trying to be lazy so that I don't
                              > have to do one folder at a time. Only thing is each folder needs to
                              > output to its own thumbs folder.
                              >
                              > Steve

Yeah this is quite odd. I can add upper case prefixes or suffixes and
                              THEY stick, but even when I alter the file extension to upper case, the
                              batch process forces it to lower case. Almost TOO web-centric. lol

It might be worth submitting a feature request to the wish list.

--
                              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                              http://www.communityMX.com/
                              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                              ---
                              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                              ---
                              See my work on Flickr
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                              • 12. Re: Filenames when exporting
                                Level 7
                                Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                                > Dooza wrote:
                                >> heathrowe wrote:
                                >>> Ah I see.
                                >>>
                                >>> You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case
                                >>> feature for batching.
                                >>
                                >> I think I will give that a go tonight. Would you know if it can do
                                >> multiple folders worth at a time? I am trying to be lazy so that I
                                >> don't have to do one folder at a time. Only thing is each folder needs
                                >> to output to its own thumbs folder.
                                >>
                                >> Steve
                                >
                                > Yeah this is quite odd. I can add upper case prefixes or suffixes and
                                > THEY stick, but even when I alter the file extension to upper case, the
                                > batch process forces it to lower case. Almost TOO web-centric. lol
                                >
                                > It might be worth submitting a feature request to the wish list.

Hi Jim,
                                I think I will, and am glad its not just me seeing this happen. But one
                                thing I have learnt, is that I don't have to use the Export feature, I
                                can use Save As and still select a jpg. Is this a new feature? I have
                                been exporting jpgs this way since v2!

Steve
                                • 13. Re: Filenames when exporting
                                  Level 7
                                  Dooza wrote:
                                  > Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                                  >> Dooza wrote:
                                  >>> heathrowe wrote:
                                  >>>> Ah I see.
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case
                                  >>>> feature for batching.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I think I will give that a go tonight. Would you know if it can do
                                  >>> multiple folders worth at a time? I am trying to be lazy so that I
                                  >>> don't have to do one folder at a time. Only thing is each folder
                                  >>> needs to output to its own thumbs folder.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Steve
                                  >>
                                  >> Yeah this is quite odd. I can add upper case prefixes or suffixes and
                                  >> THEY stick, but even when I alter the file extension to upper case,
                                  >> the batch process forces it to lower case. Almost TOO web-centric. lol
                                  >>
                                  >> It might be worth submitting a feature request to the wish list.
                                  >
                                  > Hi Jim,
                                  > I think I will, and am glad its not just me seeing this happen. But one
                                  > thing I have learnt, is that I don't have to use the Export feature, I
                                  > can use Save As and still select a jpg. Is this a new feature? I have
                                  > been exporting jpgs this way since v2!
                                  >
                                  > Steve

You can save as BUT you wont' get the same file size. Save or Save AS
                                  will retain or reserve file space for meta data. So your files will be
                                  about 13 k larger than if you had exported them. Also, if you save as
                                  BEFORE you export, the meta data is not stripped during export (a known
                                  bug).

--
                                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                                  ---
                                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                                  ---
                                  See my work on Flickr
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                                  • 14. Re: Filenames when exporting
                                    Level 7
                                    Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                                    > Dooza wrote:
                                    >> Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                                    >>> Dooza wrote:
                                    >>>> heathrowe wrote:
                                    >>>>> Ah I see.
                                    >>>>>
                                    >>>>> You can try, irfanview - it's free - to see if it has the Case
                                    >>>>> feature for batching.
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>> I think I will give that a go tonight. Would you know if it can do
                                    >>>> multiple folders worth at a time? I am trying to be lazy so that I
                                    >>>> don't have to do one folder at a time. Only thing is each folder
                                    >>>> needs to output to its own thumbs folder.
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>> Steve
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Yeah this is quite odd. I can add upper case prefixes or suffixes and
                                    >>> THEY stick, but even when I alter the file extension to upper case,
                                    >>> the batch process forces it to lower case. Almost TOO web-centric. lol
                                    >>>
                                    >>> It might be worth submitting a feature request to the wish list.
                                    >>
                                    >> Hi Jim,
                                    >> I think I will, and am glad its not just me seeing this happen. But
                                    >> one thing I have learnt, is that I don't have to use the Export
                                    >> feature, I can use Save As and still select a jpg. Is this a new
                                    >> feature? I have been exporting jpgs this way since v2!
                                    >>
                                    >> Steve
                                    >
                                    > You can save as BUT you wont' get the same file size. Save or Save AS
                                    > will retain or reserve file space for meta data. So your files will be
                                    > about 13 k larger than if you had exported them. Also, if you save as
                                    > BEFORE you export, the meta data is not stripped during export (a known
                                    > bug).

I think I will continue using Export then, its what I have always used,
                                    and has always made nice small files.

Steve