Crash affecting InDesign CC v14.0.1 and v13.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When starting InDesign CC v14.0.1 and v13.1, I recieve the following error:

Font Capture: InDesign.exe - System Error

The program can't start because DynamicApps.dll is missing from your

computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

After clicking "OK" the program finishes loading then immediately crashes. (Crash report below)

Google searches come up with nothing. NOTE: THIS IS NOT the "Entry Point Not Found" error.

What I've done:

1. Updated to the newest available Java version
  2. Uninstalled/reinstalled InDesign (both versions)
  3. Repaired the Visual C++ distributions
  4. Renamed the AppData folders (both Local and Roaming) for InDesign.

The error persists.

Crash report:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE AdobeCrashReport SYSTEM "AdobeCrashReporter.dtd">

<crashreport serviceVersion="2.1.1" clientVersion="2.1.1" applicationName="Adobe InDesign(64 bit)" applicationVersion="14010" build="14.0.1.209" source="Windows-Client">

</binaryImageSet>

<dumpType>

Mini

</dumpType>

</crash>

</crashreport>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

HP support said "...SmartStream Designer may not be compatible with Windows 7."

However, after upgrading to Windows 10, the problem persisted.

The root cause was a permissions issue to the "My Documents" library. A registry key had been altered by our Group Policy which pointed the My Documents path to a network share that I did not have write permissions to. As a result, the SmartStream Designer installer (or runtime, or both) could not write to the path causing it to crash... and not very gracef

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving emails in Sweedish from Adobe?

"Hej,

Du får detta e-postmeddelande därför att innehåll du postade har godkänts av våra moderatorer.

...My post...

Visa meddelandet

Det här e-postmeddelandet skickades av Adobe Community eftersom du är en registrerad användare. Du kan avregistrera dig omedelbart från Adobe Community eller justera frekvensen av utskick i dina e-postinställningar"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting InDesign by trashing the preferences?

InDesign CC 2019 Troubleshooting How-to Guide

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Mike.

I've just tried with both versions. Same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please submit the crash report to us(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
  • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
  • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
  • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI the crash report window is broken:

My email address is not invalid. It does have a dash character in it, which seems to confuse the form. I've submitted the crash report under a different email address than this account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues seems to be because of “DynamicApps.dll”. I tried searching the dll on my machine and hence could not figure out the purpose of the dll. Can you please share the use of “DynamicApps.dll” or any product which can use this dll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the error window being titled "InDesign.exe - System Error" this appears to be related to the HP SmartStream Designer plugin for 2019 and 2018.

I un-installed the plugins and now InDesign will run again.

I've reached out to HP for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HP support said "...SmartStream Designer may not be compatible with Windows 7."

However, after upgrading to Windows 10, the problem persisted.

The root cause was a permissions issue to the "My Documents" library. A registry key had been altered by our Group Policy which pointed the My Documents path to a network share that I did not have write permissions to. As a result, the SmartStream Designer installer (or runtime, or both) could not write to the path causing it to crash... and not very gracefully.

The fix was to uninstall Adobe InDesign, uninstall the SmartStream Designer plugin, correct the permissions on the My Documents library and then re-install Indesign and SmartStream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines