• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Estimated file size way off

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited a video of about an hour in Premiere Pro. I exported it as H.264 Blu-Ray. The estimated file size was 8-9 GB. It came out instead as 33-34 GB. This was too big for Encore to put it on a Blu-Ray disc.

I next tried exporting it as MPEG2 Blu Ray. But Encore doesn't recognize it.

I went back to H.264 Blu-Ray. I reduced the bit rate settings from target 20/maximum 25 to target 15/maximum 20. This reduced the estimated file size to 6-7 GB. It came out instead as the exact same 33-34 GB, so still too big for a Blu-Ray disc.

I read in another thread that the "metadata" can be the problem when the file ends up far larger than the estimate, and that you should eliminate most or all of the metadata. Unfortunately when I export, the "metadata" button is grayed out, so I can't follow that suggestion.

Is there any way to get a one hour project onto a Blu-Ray?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange, have never had any issues like that when exporting H.264 Blu-ray. Perhaps try using Constant Bit Rate (CBR) encoding and see if that behaves better. CBR 25 for instance.

I should also ask:

What version of Premiere/Media Encoder?

What format is the source video?

Export Settings? A screen grab is helpful.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Premiere Pro CS6.

The video I used for the project was from my camcorder, AVCHD.

When exporting, the source says 1280x720, 59.94, progressive, 1:02:04, 4800 Hz, stereo, and the output says 1280x720, 59.94, progressive, VBR, 1 pass, Dolby Digital, 128 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo. I'm currently redoing it at target 10/maximum 15 to see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Premiere Pro CS6 & Earlier​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the export settings with the left tab to output and visible image.

Also a screenshot of the clips properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've already proven that VBR encoding is producing a very large file, and reducing the VBR bitrate did not help, so I don't see the benefit of lowering the bit rate yet again. Try the CBR 25, and please post actual screen shot of Export Settings, often provides valuable clues.

Aside from setting bit rate, did you change ANY other export settings in the H.264 Blu-ray 720p59.94 preset?

EDIT: The default audio output should be PCM, which is a .wav file, yet yours says Dolby at 128k (and 128k is too low) so I think you have been playing with settings. Let's go with that screen shot please and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the maximum render quality box, and I changed the choice under the multiplexer tab so it would be one file instead of separate video and audio files (which I think automatically changes the audio file type). I think that's it. I can try the CBR 25 next.

Premiere.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rule #1: Don't mess with presets!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encore WANTS two separate files, audio and video. Don't assume that you know better than the Adobe software engineers and start changing things right away.

Please, select the 720p 59.94 preset, don't mess with anything else, and just EXPORT. Most users will not need the Max Render box checked either.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'll try that next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I used the preset export settings with no alterations as suggested. It got to 67% of the way through and froze for a half hour or more.

I cancelled and started over. It could not get past 0%.

I closed the program, reopened it, and started over. It could not get past 0%.

I closed the program, shut down the computer entirely, restarted the computer, reopened the program, and started over. It exported without a hitch, and came out pretty much the size it had estimated, well within the limits to put on a disc.

Because multiplexer was off, it made separate video and audio files. The audio file is about two seconds shorter than the video file.

It is not the case that two seconds were chopped off one end or the other. As I look over the files, they are well in sync early, and badly out of sync late. I haven't determined yet if there are two seconds missing somewhere in the middle, or instead if it gets very gradually out of sync because the one file for some reason was created to go at a very slightly different speed than the other. If the latter, then perhaps I could increase the speed of the audio file by some fraction of 1% to make it the identical length as the video file.

Or perhaps the thing to try next is to export it exactly the same as this last time except with multiplexer on.

For what it's worth, the earlier file, with the video and audio combined, that seemed fine except that it was so monstrously large, came out as 1:02:07:47 long. This latest effort came out with video of 1:02:05:55 and audio of 1:02:04:03. So the video is 112 frames shorter and the audio is 224 frames shorter. (Irrelevant mathematical coincidence that the one number is exactly double the other?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you editing footage that has variable framerate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't be any different. All the footage was shot the same day, and I didn't alter the settings on the camera during the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I set the wav file at 99.94% speed, which increased the length to match the video file. I checked at various spots and it looks like the video and audio are in sync throughout.

I attempted to create a Blu-Ray with Encore. It returned the error message "video buffer underflows total bitrate is too high near time 26.326300 seconds" At that time point the video includes a title fading in, and the audio is music.

I threw out the disc and started over. This time I got the error message "device error, Code 3, Note: CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file"

I next tried to create an ISO file instead of a disc. I got the original error message of "video buffer underflows total bitrate is too high near time 26.326300 seconds"

It's appearing increasingly likely that Premiere and Encore simply will not permit me to finish this project and create Blu-Rays regardless of what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update (final?):

Although by far the most tempting option is to create a bonfire and throw Premiere and Encore into the center of it, my next experiment was to go back to Premiere to the same preset I used last time, making just the one alteration of turning on the multiplexing. The result was that the predicted file of 6-7 GB again turned out over 33 GB, which is too big for the disc. So at least it's clear that the multiplexer is the culprit as far as monstrously increasing the file size.

I next tried going back to the original preset (with the multiplexer back off), with the only alteration being that I set the bit rate at CBR 25. The resulting (video) file was 10-11 GB, so an acceptable size. Once again, though, the audio file was about two seconds shorter, so I had to slow the speed to 99.94%.

With Encore I tried to make an ISO file first. It went through successfully, finally.

I then used ImgBurn and the ISO file to burn a Blu-Ray disc. The process went smoothly.

The last step was to check the disc. As I played it, I saw that gradually the video and audio went out of sync. So I had to throw that one away too.

Evidently what was happening was that even though the original audio file was shorter than the video file, and when played in Encore the video and audio are not in sync, perhaps when Encore makes the ISO file it somehow adjusts for that to put them in sync after all. Thus my changing the length of the audio file constituted adjusting twice, putting them that much out of sync in the other direction.

So, retracing my steps, I changed the audio file length back to what it had been (even though that made it no longer match the video file). I used Encore to make a new ISO file, which it did successfully. I then went back to ImgBurn to use that ISO file to burn yet another disc. That too seemed to go fine.

I played the disc through and saw no indication of being out of sync.

Success!

So if anyone somehow runs into the particular set of issues I did (unlikely, since for me at least Premiere always comes up with new inscrutable ways to fail), in summary what worked is:

1. Use the H.264 720p 59.94 preset. Alter this only by changing the default bitrate to CBR 25.

2. If this results in video and audio files of unequal length, even if in Encore when you play them in the monitor they are clearly not in sync all the way through, ignore this and proceed anyway.

3. Make an ISO file with Encore, and use this to burn to Blu-Ray discs.

Needless to say, I'm really unhappy with this software.

My experience working with video was very positive for years. For about 10-15 years I used mostly Premiere (and briefly a more primitive program when I was just starting out) and it was a significant hobby of mine, as well as something I did semi-professionally (I did 10-12 paid projects, ranging from minor ones I finished in a day, to really elaborate multi-DVD projects that I worked on for months), and I always told people how much I loved it as a way to express my creativity, and how I could spend hours working on editing video and be so into it that it felt like a few minutes.

That has changed dramatically, and clearly the main factor was when I started shooting in HD, and I had to get later versions of Premiere that could handle HD. All of a sudden everything became vastly more complicated and unintuitive, and more and more things went wrong with the software. The stuff in this thread is one example, but this type of idiocy has been constant with Premiere and Encore.

I got so flustered with it a while back that I did try a competitor software, but I found that no better, and indeed it stopped working entirely after a few months. About the only thing I can think of now is to switch to Final Cut, which means spending yet more money, learning yet another program from scratch, and indeed switching to a different type of computer (Mac) entirely, so I'm hesitant to do that.

For all those years with the earlier versions of Premiere, I spent maybe 95% of my time actually working on my projects, and 5% of the time dealing with software problems that arose--retrying things, inventing workarounds, scouring the Internet for people having similar issues, posting in forums like this, etc. With the more advanced versions of the software needed for HD, it's been more like 20% of the time working on my projects, and 80% of the time dealing with these nonstop software dumpster fires. It has truly taken the joy out of something that was a real positive in my life.

Either from then compared to now I've become vastly dumber and even less adept with computer stuff, or this is just terrible, buggy software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a program with an original release date of 3-26-2012 (per DLL list on my computer) which was last updated 8-20-2013 (the EXE on my computer) with "new" HD video

What you MAY want to do is run your video through a converter to create a file that is still HD, but is easier for CS6 to edit

I don't have any problems with the 1280x720 30 fps video from my Canon SX510 or Canon ELPH 500 cameras, so I really can't suggest a conversion program or output setting to make files that CS6 will edit better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last step was to check the disc. As I played it, I saw that gradually the video and audio went out of sync. So I had to throw that one away too.

If you footage is variable framerate (not talking bitrate) then that might be your issue.

You can check framerate mode with MediaInfo windows / MediaInfo Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you applied free update to CS6 - CS6 6.0.4 and 6.0.5 updates

I don't know why the audio is coming up short during export to Blu-ray, but rather than messing around with trying to make it some percentage to compensate, try this - from Premiere timeline, simply export a .wav file all by itself. Shouldn't take but a minute of two, and duration ought to be correct. Discard previous .wav and use the new one with the existing video for Blu-ray.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a preset!!

Turn off multiplexing.

If you have a gpu card turn off max render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ann and Jeff, something just isn't adding up. PR estimated sizes can be off, but changing the settings does change the export size. Posting your export settings would be helpful.

Also, in the export settings dialog, click on the export filename and check where you are saving the new exports. It is possible you're looking at the wrong file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do BluRay... does a BluRay export have a "ROM content" option like a DVD?

If yes, I wonder if something has been added that is causing the large size

Oh, wait... that is in Encore, so won't matter here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1,5 hours with a bluray preset should fit nicely on a bluray disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too.  I don't understand why there is an estimated file size, when it so obviously doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines