3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2008 8:29 PM by heathrowe

why does fireworks auto format my documents to animated gifs?

goatmud
      I just got CS3 and i have a problem with fireworks. Every time i create a new firework document the second i ad anything to the document, i.e. vector shapes, hotspots, text etc.. it automatically converts the document to an animated gif. So i try to make a rollover or image swap it reads my frames as an animation instead of a roll over. saving it as different file types does nothing. the only way fireworks lets use the frames as rollovers is when i open an existing psd or jpeg and then work from there. WHY does it autoformat my document? I've watch video tutorials and the document types never change when something is added.
      Has anybody had this problem?
        • 1. Re: why does fireworks auto format my documents to animated   gifs?
          Level 7
          goatmud wrote:
          > I just got CS3 and i have a problem with fireworks. Every time i create a new
          > firework document the second i ad anything to the document, i.e. vector shapes,
          > hotspots, text etc.. it automatically converts the document to an animated
          > gif.

I've never heard of this happening before. Try deleting the Fireworks
          Preferences text file, and reload the program. Open the Optimize panel
          and make sure the file type is not set to animated GIF.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: why does fireworks auto format my documents to animated   gifs?
            goatmud Level 1
            right after i posted i installed a fireworks update from Adobe Updater and restarted my mac. Now it works fine.
            i check the preferences txt file after and it is blank. is that normal?
            am i looking at the right file? macHD>applications>fireworks>configuration>installer>userPreferences.txt ?
            Anyways i guess the update fixed it since i didn't read your reply till after.
            Thanks For the Tip, i really do appreciate it.

By the way, speaking of adobe updater. Some of my updates get stuck installing and never get passed 50%. I just got my mac and it have only downloaded updates a few times and usually 3 out of 10 updates get hung up installing a freeze. i have read other posts like this in other forums but haven't read about a solution. Is there any solution for this?
            Also will the updates that are not completely installed after my mac or apps?
            • 3. Re: why does fireworks auto format my documents to animated gifs?
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
              The stalling happened to me just the other day, except it wasn't even at 2%. So I deselected 'Download Only when Internet Connection is Idle' option at the bottom of the progress dialog, and then it went smooth.

You can give that a try or simply Cancel and resume at another time.
              h