2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2019 12:34 PM by Jim_Simon

Digitizing 6 hours of Hi-8 videos and editing using Premiere Pro CC 2018

natescoble Level 1

Hi Forum Members,

I want to digitize 6 Hi-8 cassettes with about 6 hours of video of three musical theater performances I did in 1996, shot using a Sony CCD-TR700 Hi-8 camcorder. I have a newly-purchased iMac, Retina 5K, 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, with 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, and a Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB graphics card, and I have Premiere Pro CC 2018. I plan to use a new external drive, which is an OWC Mercury Elite All-Pro, 7200 rpm, USB 3.1, while editing. (Backup will be on same-series drives by same maker which are 3 to 5 years older.)

The digitizing service I plan to use told me the planned files will total about 300 GB, leading me to realize I'd better check, quick, how large the file sizes will be that I can work with, in both the files I bring into Premiere, and the resulting project size. I should also know the best format(s) to work with. My first aim is to post on YouTube, but I of course think it would be wise to get digitized video that is as high-quality as possible in the video and the audio.

While I've worked in AfterEffects some, and in Premiere a little bit, that was twenty years ago. So please consider me a newbie. Your advice would be most helpful. Thanks!

Nathaniel Scoble

• 1. Re: Digitizing 6 hours of Hi-8 videos and editing using Premiere Pro CC 2018
          bucksommerkamp Adobe Community Professional

Nathaniel, it sounds like you have a system that should work well for this. I'm curious what the digitizing service is planning to give you, though - 300GB sounds like they're upsampling the video, which would be originally SD (not widescreen, not high-definition) into something much bigger.

You should be fine with what you have, and obviously you won't bring all 300GB into PPro at once...you'd probably at least work with each digitized cassette one at a time - so let's say they're all equally about 50GB -- that shouldn't be any sweat for a good machine and PPro.

I just hope they're doing a good job bringing the source material into a file for you. The source material (Hi8) is pretty old-school, so just remember that it could be disappointing to be output at HD resolution. But once you have it, just import the footage, edit to your heart's content, and export to whatever format you need on the other end.

• 2. Re: Digitizing 6 hours of Hi-8 videos and editing using Premiere Pro CC 2018
            Jim_Simon Level 9

File size doesn't matter all that much.  Format and codec do, so find out exactly what they plan to give you.