• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can one put a group of layers into independant precomps?

Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a crap-load of layers that each need to be in their own precomp. Is there any way, script or plug-in, that would allow me to select a group of layers from the time line and make it so each of those layers get into their own precomp?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Sorry, missed a line when I pasted:

var moveAllAttributes = true;
var laycol = app.project.activeItem.layers;

// first cache the array of layer selections, starting at the bottom
var selectedLayers = new Array();
for (var i=laycol.length; i>0; i--) {

var thislayer = laycol;
    if (thislayer.selected) selectedLayers.push(i);
}

// now precompose them individually
for (var s=0; s<selectedLayers.length; s++) {
    var thislayer = laycol[selectedLayers];
    var precomp_name = thislayer.name;
    laycol.prec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can group by color labels and then pre-compose.

Pre-composing this one simple keystroke. I know of no way to write a script that automatically selects Different groups of layers unless you have already group layers by color, but, on the other hand, if layers are out of order or you can’t precomposed them anyway.

Maybe I do not understand what you’re trying to do but shift select and the keyboard shortcut seems like a lot less trouble than digging for a script and then running It.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, thank your for your time and your response.

So, lets say you have a comp with 20 shape layers in your timeline. Thats all, just 20 shape layers. You can select all 20, and put them into one precomp. Or, you can go one by one and put each of them in their own precomp.

I have a lot more than 20 and I need each of them to be in their own precomp. Going one by one seems very inefficient, and will take a long time. I figure there has got to be a way to select all 20 (going back to the example) and telling After Effects to put each one of the selected layers in its own precomp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be possible with a script, but it has to be done carefully.

There is a layerCollection.precompose() function but it uses the index number of the layer(s) to be precomposed (the number shown next to the name in the timeline panel). Since every time you precompose a layer, the numbers will change, the script has to work from the bottom up. The act of precomposing also resets any selection, so if you're using that rather than something like label colors to choose your targets, the script has to cache their numbers.

Here's a very basic script that does that. I assume you have the composition selected in the project panel, and the layer(s) selected in the timeline - and that the layers make sense to precompose in isolation:

}

laycol.precompose([selectedLayers],precomp_name,moveAllAttributes);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If select multiple assets in the project panel you can drag them onto the new comp button and be given an option to create on comp or individual comps.  Unfortunately shape layers (and text) do not get added to the project panel.   This is feature that's been requested for awhile but not accommodated.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sorry it took so long to respond. I finally had a chance to try this, but I get the error

"Unable to execute script at line 8. undefined is not an object"

Line 8 is:

I have the comp selected. I have nothing but the shape layers im wanting to pre-compose in the comp, and I have them all highlighted/selected before running the script.

Since it's a script and not an expression, I don't think I have to define an index number/range, so im at a bit of a loss on whats goin' on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, missed a line when I pasted:

var thislayer = laycol;
}

laycol.precompose([selectedLayers],precomp_name,moveAllAttributes);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! thank you so much! this did what I was hoping to.

Something happened that was unexpected and undesired, though. But. . . maybe it's normal?

I have a wiggle expression for the opacity on all the layers that make them flicker randomly. But not only do they flicker randomly in time and transparency, but they're random from each-other, independently. Which is half the effect I'm going for

wiggle(.2,20)

otherwise i would have used something like an adjustment layer, control expression, or null object, or something that would have made them flicker collectively.

When I apply the script, all of the layers go into their own independent precomps, Which is exactly what I needed, but now they are all flickering in sync. The flicker itself is random for time and transparency, but they're no longer independent of each-other? Why would this change? I thought the wiggle is based on time, frequency, and the attribute its randomizing?

I don't even think I could get them to be random from eachother even if I went through and staggered all 243 layer precomps.

I have a couple of reasons that I wanted all the layers in their own precomps. But one of them was that I need to have two separate acting opacity expressions on all the layers. I need that opacity wiggle expression, but I also need to control their opacity by a control expression at a certain point in the comp. So through the comp, they'll "flicker" and then for about 2 seconds in the comp (out of 10) their opacity will also be affected, to dim completely, by a gradient wipe. The gradient wipe will be a bit more involved, and include particles, but its the basic idea. I can get one, or the other, but need all the layers to be in their own precomps to do both. Or... that was the idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The random seed for wiggle comes from the layer index so every layer would have a different random seed. If you want everything to wiggle the same try this:

seedRandom(1);

wiggle(.2, 20)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to be doing something wrong. I applied your adjusted expression to the layers and then precomped, getting the same result as the original expression.

I precomped the layers first and THEN applied the adjusted expression. I did this merely to say I tried it, even though it definitely seemed redundant expression-wise (wiggle expression on layer, and then wiggle expression on precomp that contains layer), and that it was counter productive for why I needed them in precomps in the first places. Either way, same result as the issue with the initial scenario.

Is this supposed to be added to the script in some way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start a new comp

Add a small rectangle as a shape layer

Add this expression to the layer's opacity property:

seedRandom(1);

wiggle(3, 60)

Duplicate the solid 3 or 4 times and offset the position so you can see all of them

Preview the comp

All layers will change opacity 3 times per second between 100% and 60% in unison.

Here's the comp: Dropbox - Uniform Wiggle Opacity.aep

If you are not getting the same wiggle in all layers then there is something else going on in the comp. My suggestion would be to put a master slider in the comp on a controller null and name it Random Opacity. Link the opacity of all layers to that slider, then apply your wiggle expression to the slider. You have just decreased the complexity of your composition by a factor equal to the number of layers you are controlling - 1. IOW - If you have 200 layrs you have decreased the complexity of the comp by a factor of 199.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem they're having is that the wiggles ARE in unison.  The post says that the wiggles were randomized (which is what they wanted) but for some reason when they put all the layers into their own compositions they began wiggling in unison (which they do NOT want)

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they want random wiggles for every layer and the wiggle is in the nested comp then they will have to add a way to randomize the random seed in each of the nested comps. The nested comps have one layer so the random seed is going to be the same for each layer.

Personally, I think the OP is overcomplicating the project by about 243 nested comps.

A simple if statement linked to a slider or a checkbox could easily make 243 layers randomize opacity and then stop when the slider or checkbox is keyframed. You could also use a time calculation or a marker or the in or out point of a layer to control when the wiggle stops working.

For example:

if (thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Random Checkbox")("Checkbox") == 1)  {100}

else

wiggle(3, 60)

or if you want to gradually slow down the wiggle:

freq = effect("Slider Control")("Slider");

if (freq > 0)

{wiggle(freq, 60)}

else 100

If the layers were all shape layers then you could do the entire thing with onje layer:

Screenshot_2019-01-22 13.52.01_KUxxRG.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, short answer, Correct. I do not want them to  wiggle in Unison (sorry, hadn't thought of using that term earlier). But ya, I want them to be random from eachother.

Before I go on, Im real sorry for the delay. Rick, youve been extremely helpful, and I value your advise! I wasn't able to read your full post. I was called off to the ER and was there for most of the day. Probably wont be able to do a proper scan through/response of your last 2 posts till late tomorrow.

One thing I wanted to say though is that, even though it might seem like an over complicated way of going about things, I kind of have my reasons. at least, in my head.

I need these layers opacity to be controlled by two "conditions", and you cant put two separate expressions on the same attribute. So, my thinking: First expression on all layers, then second expresions on layers precomps.

I'll try my hardest to demonstrate what Im going for in a comp, but will use size for the second condition instead of opacity. hopefully thatll clear some of this all up. I thank you all SOOOOO much for your help and your patience. Rick Gerard, again, thank you!. Please dont get any wrong ideas of me. Im very interested in your feed back and am open to suggestions. I just want to make sure Ive made my goal/objective clear (made sure im conveying it correctly.) Gutterfish! Thank you! Sometimes I don't know the right way to phrase things. Good lookin' out. Please stick around. And Dave Merchant​, I hope you're still around buddy. You got EXACTLY what I was goin for on the first go! I can really learn from you all.

K, all... got at 101.8 fever, gonna try to get some sleep before I throw up, so I can wake up at 5:30 to take care of dogs, clean up, and still pick up breakfast for wiffy whos currently in the ER. Yes, I just did that... I'm sure others have had tougher, but Im not used to this and I needed self validation ^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "random" number generator in After Effects is not actually random; as you have found out unless you explicitly tell it otherwise, every composition will see the same series of numbers.

seedRandom() kicks the generator into a new cycle for that layer, but Rick's initial suggestion of seedRandom(1) will kick every layer by the same amount, so you're no better off. You need to put a different value into every seedRandom call (in each precomp). Since you will have to update every precomp's expression by hand anyway, there's not a trivial way to completely automate it.

precomp1:

seedRandom(1,true);
wiggle(3,60);

precomp2:

seedRandom(2,true);
wiggle(3,60);

etc etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..just as an aside, if the layers in each precomp have different length names (e.g. if they started as text layers before being precomposed) then you could seed the randomizer with seedRandom(name.length,true) to make copy/pasting a bit faster.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to obtain a truly unique reference number from a precomp; there is an internal 'ID' parameter but it's not exposed to scripting.

The statement "I need these layers opacity to be controlled by two "conditions", and you cant put two separate expressions on the same attribute." makes me think that we can probably avoid all this precomposing if we know exactly what you're trying to glue together. It's perfectly possible to create expressions that do math to combine several parameters, even if they're from other layers or compositions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, all, thank you again everyone. Im sorry my attention hasn't be able to be more focused, but ... you know. Life.

Anyway. So something has struck my last night that may me think "Oh bleep, idk if any of this would work anyway, even if I go the layers and pre-comps the way I was asking. The reason being is that the second Parament would be dependent on the layers changing based on a growing path of black/white/grey (Im working on a demostration as I. . . Well, before and after I type. So, it would defenitely work for shape layer and based on their location in the screen. But if all of them are precomposed, and the size of the screen itself, that'll throw everything off and make all of this pointles.. SO, that being said, either the pre-comps would somehow need to retain the shape, size, and position of the layers withing. . .

And then I read your latest comment Dave, and I think that would work beautifully, and be far more straight forward. I definitely feel it was my fault for making this all so complicated. Again, I'm making a demo, Ill post, and then maybe you can help instruct me on what way to go. Your avatar is very appropriate buddy. You are a ninja at this stuff. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behold . . .

Stuff!. The video type stuff that shows you what Im doin.

Ok, so you see the triangles are fading in and out randomly using that wiggle expression. The second parameter is the scale attribute being controlled by the "control layer". (shown in the second half of the video.)

I'd like to know how to get the both parameters to effect the opacity, instead of the opacity and the scale.

I used ECAbrams control layer tutorial for the scale.

Border triangles Demo - YouTube
Sorry about it being so fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you took a minute to show us a screenshot with the modified properties of the layers you are working with revealed (uu) we could help you figure out how you are controlling the layers. I already showed you hot to randomly wiggle the opacity of a bunch of triangles in a single shape layer. I'm assuming you want the triangles that have varying opacity fade out in order when you move a second slider.

I would describe what I think you want to do as follows:

I want to fill the screen with triangles. The opacity of each of the triangles is constantly randomly changing so each one changes opacity at a different time. Then I want to be able to fade the triangles off the screen in a specific order one at a time. The final result would be a screen full of triangles with randomly varying opacity that fade out starting from the top left and moving to the bottom right.

If that is right just let us know. I would not approach what I have described by putting all of the triangles on a single layer. At most, there would be two layers, one shape layer with all of the triangles and another layer to control the fade out of the layers in order. I might even be able to come up with a single expression that would fade out each triangle in order by simply animating a slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you. You nailed my goal. I don't know if you were being literal about fading out one by one, but the sweeping fade out is definitely the objective.

Since I was pretty confident that the expression(s) im using are probably not going to be used, I figured there was no point in posting them. If you're asking about the keyframe placements on the time line, again, this was just an example, so I didn't think that was gonna be relevant. In any case, my main concern was giving too much infodump. But I'll try to use better judgement in the future and give me info that may be relevant.

The way I understood your approach, you're saying:

Have all the triangles in one "layer" (that shape lay and not suppose to say pre-comp correct?) that would have the wiggle expression. And then another layer that acts as the control/slider.

If all that is correct, Im under the impression, even though all the triangles would be their own path/group in a layer, that they would fade in and out, or wiggle, in unison because the parameter/expression effects the shape layer as a whole. If the paths/groups can have independent setting expressions, I'm going to have to go through each and every group to apply the expression, as you cant (to my limited experience) copy and paste settings to a batch select of groups. Or am I mistaken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S

Sorry to add another subject to this, but I ran into a HUGE problem and really need help. When I restart (well, shut down, and the boot up) my pc, After effects is missing fonts that I am using in this project. It was perfectly fine when I closed the program. I had properly saved before closing, and it was definitely recognizing the fonts. They are fonts I have from Adobe Fonts (typekit) and they are still on my computer because Photoshop still sees them.

I didn't install anything. there were not updates, nothing. Literally saved project, closed After Effects, turned off PC, slept, Turned PC back on, Opened After Effects. Nothing else.

Im freaking out and getting angry that this is happening.

Does anyone know of this issue and how to address it?

The font in question is Futura PT (the whole pack/family)

I have searched the web thoroughly and am only seing posts/info about installing new fonts.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should put the missing fonts problem in another thread. Explain where you got the fonts. I'm using the Adobe CC Fonts library for more than 99% of my fonts and have not had or heard of anyone experiencing problems syncing fonts if they have a solid internet connection when they are trying to manage their fonts. Once loaded up they have always been available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The expressions that will randomly fade layers and allows you to change the frequency over time are demonstrated above. Here they are.

if (thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Random Checkbox")("Checkbox") == 1)  {100}

else

wiggle(3, 60)

or if you want to gradually slow down the wiggle:

freq = effect("Slider Control")("Slider");

if (freq > 0)

{wiggle(freq, 60)}

else 100

The simplest comp would be one that had all of the triangles in the same shape layer as my screenshot with the 4 squares clearly shows.

There are at least two ways I can think of to fade the triangles off in a specific order. The first would be to write an expression that took the value from a control slider, which could be on the single shape layer containing all the triangles. That value would be used as the number of the triangle. As long as the layers were in order when the slider was set to zero all triangles would have their opacity determined from one of the random expressions above. When the slider value changed to 1, triangle number 1 would be completely transparent. This expression would take me a few minutes to write but when you had it set up for the first triangle you could just copy the expression only and paste it to all the other layers. This could put everything on one layer.

A simpler method would be to add a second layer that uses a stroked path as a control layer for opacity by sampling the color or alpha channel of that path. All you would need to do is add "Trim Paths" to that layer and sample the color of the controller layer under the Transform the current triangle's anchor point. If you added a gaussian blur to the line you could even have the triangle gradually fade out instead of just shutting off. That would also take a few minutes to write but it would also work, everything on a single layer.

A third option would be a simple gradient wipe using the same blurred path as the gradient. My point is that you are making this project way too difficult.

I just had one more idea. Create your triangle array in Illustrator on a single layer. Duplicate the triangles layer and use the blend option in AI to control the fill color of the triangles from black to white. If you set up the grid of triangles correctly, this would be easy. The first triangle would be filled with black, the last with white. Import as a comp, turn off the black to white top layer, convert the bottom layer to shapes, apply a wiggle expression to the first triangle's opacity, copy expression only, paste to all the other triangles opacity, then add Gradient wipe and use the top copy as the source. All Done...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding fonts: Ok, thank you! will do.

Edit: Found answer through an existing thread. Had to delete opm.db file.

Regarding expression: I'll give these a try, and follow up on Monday! Thank you very very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a little help from Dan Ebberts, I figured out a universal expression that can be saved as an animation preset. You can put all of your triangles in a single shape layer then draw a path on a new shape layer that lines up with the center points of each triangle in the order you want to wipe them on. Make the stroke wide enough to make sure that you are covering about 1/4 of the triangle. Now drag the path below the shape layer that is filled with triangles.

The next step is to drag a selection around all of the triangles in the timeline, then apply the animation preset. You apply this expression to the Opacity of Transform Polygon 1>Opacity:

target = thisComp.layer(index + 1);

CP = [thisComp.width/2, thisComp.height/2] + thisProperty.propertyGroup(1)(2);

alpha = target.sampleImage(CP, [.5, .5])[3] / 1;

if (alpha == 1) {wiggle(10, 30)}

else alpha * 100

Here's what the expression does. The first line defines the target layer, the one that you are going to sanple the alpha channel from as the layer directly below the current layer. The second line figures the comp space position of the triangle by adding the Transform Triangle 1 position to half the comp width and comp height. This will give you a point you use to sample the layer below.

Here's the animation preset: Dropbox - Random Opacity via trim path.ffx

The next line (alpha 😃 uses sampleImage to look at the target layer, then divides that value by 1. All that is left is to add an if statement that says if the alpha channel is equal to 1 (maximum value for the alpha channel [3]) then wiggle the opacity 10 times a second between 0 and 30. If the alpha does not equal 1 then multiply the alpha value by 100 to set the opacity of the layer. You can set the wiggle to anything you like. You could even tie it to a pair of sliders.

If you add trim paths to the target layer's path and animate the start you can turn off each triangle as the start point is animated. Adding a blur will fade out the triangle as the line passes instead of just shutting it off.

All you have to do is save the expression as an animation preset or copy the expression only, then drag a selection around all of the triangles on your shape layer and apply the Animation Preset or Paste.

Everything you wanted to do on a single layer. It should also render very quickly. I hope this makes sense. Here's a sample comp I made by just duplicating triangles and dragging them into position:

Screenshot_2019-01-28 14.55.03_AJfmaF.png

Dropbox - reveal triangles.aep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines