• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the perspective of a floor PS CS2

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to apply tiles onto a picture of a bathroom. How can I do a 3D rotation to align and match the angle of the tile in such a way that the aspect ratio of the tile (height and width) are preserved?

Any help is appreciated. I am using PS CS2.

Thanks

Image 03_small.jpgDGVT TALI BEIGE_F1_small.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that anyone here still remembers what you could and couldn't do in CS2. But now you'd turn it into a Smart Object and Transform > Distort. Just place the corners manually.

You could do each tile separately, or put them together first and then convert that to Smart Object.

Transform > Perspective tends to stretch in one direction unless you push and pull at the same time, and you'd also need to rotate. So that quickly gets unpractical. Distort is much more flexible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Let me try this out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I remember correctly, CS2 had the vanishing point filter, in fact it came in with CS2

Open the image in vanishing point, draw a plane then paste your tiled image and use the marquee tool in VP to drag it onto the plane

Use Vanishing Point in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying to my query. I will try that out. This is exactly what I need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

regarding your post #2 with the very nice result by appearance –

could it be that the perspective is considerably wrong?

Let's follow this simple rule: all parallels in the scene have the same

vanishing point in the image.

Draw a line through A and B. Draw a line through C and D.

They'll meet in vanishing point V1.

Draw a line through E and B. Draw a line through F and D.

They'll meet in vanishing point V2.

Draw a line through V1 and F. Draw a line through V2 and C.

They'll meet in G.

The quadrilateral CDFG is a correct image of a rectangular part of the

scene floor, different to the suggested orientation.

Klo.png

Hope it's understandable. I'm normally not drawing by Photoshop but by PostScript.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right Gernot. To be honest I just dropped it in quickly to demo that the VP filter could be used. I should have been more careful  

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

thanks for your fair comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, vanishing point is probably better.

You need to match the lighting afterwards. The room is pretty dark, so either lighten that or darken the floor, with some falloff towards the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right Dag - getting the perspective is just step 1

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, very good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wooden floor in a Men’s Rest Room. That certainly callls for perspective correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was tempted to add a wet look but thought better of it

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave and D Fosse for your helpful tips.

norman.sanders​ - !!

So to be clear I would need to use both the Smart object option to lock in the tile ratios and then apply it using the Vanishing point method.  So if I am placing 2ft by 2ft tiles as seen on the picture, should I create a separate PSD file to set about 3 rows of 5 tiles side by side (assuming the dimensions of the restroom are 8 ft height to ceiling, 10 ft length and 6 ft width)? And then use the above techniques to align to the original photo and delete the rest? Is it the optimum way of doing this?

I also agree with you D Fosse with regards to the lighting and shadow/light effects, which will be the next step once I get the tile alignments done. The shadow effect seems to be easy to apply (from the urinal to the floor as seen by Dave's post. Could anyone tell me how can I apply the light effects from the top? Is using the Lighting Effects from Filter -> Render enough to get me exactly the kind of lighting seen on the original pic ?

Thanks again for your inputs!!

Shalz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I did it in this order

1. Created a tiled floor document using your square

2. Opened the other image and made a copy of the background layer which I then opened in vanishing point

3. Set out the grid to match the perspective

4. Copied the tiles into vanishing point and used the marquee tool to drag to the grid.

5 Used the transform handles to drag it into place

6. Clicked OK

7. I added shadows using a separate layer set to multiply blend mode and painted in black

8. I used a couple of curves layers to adjust both the floor and the walls

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Can you please clarify Point #8 - Curve layers to adjust the floor and walls?

So based on G.Hoffman's post (thank you!), I should be setting the parallels based on the room dimensions first and then drag into place. Obviously, this would apply for walls as well.

Shalz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A slight variation on Gernot's post: Lines from the vanishing points through the corners of the image. A rectangular Pattern Fill layer was converted to a Smart Object, and transformed to fit the floor:

Note the converging purple lines. The image is actually tree-point perspective, and they meet at the third vanishing point (which is W A A A A A Y down there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jumped on this thread only to find my Lazy Nezumi Vanishing Lines preset was broken, so I have spent most of today trying to isolate the problem, (without success) so I have had to resort to the Bert Monroy method of producing perspective guides.

Which would make the floor.  So I seem to be getting the same result as as Sema, which is fair enough IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

OK , this time back to Vanishing point but doing what I should have done in the first place.

1. Put a plane on the back wall using the corner, ceiling and tiles as a guide to lay down the corner points.
2. Ctrl click on the right handle and drag out a perpendicular plane on the right wall

3. Ctrl  click on the bottom handle and drag out the floor plane.

Those steps ensure the guides match the perspective of the image

Now just drop in the floor as earlier

Lesson to self - If I'm going to post here, do it right !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I can't see any advice, how to adjust the scales in x- and y-direction. Or did I miss something?

In order to place scene square tiles onto a floor, we need a square piece of scene floor, and then

the image of this square piece. The suggested method is not accurate but sufficient.

We start by finding two objects of eqal x- and y-length. I've taken 8 small tiles in the upper part,

which delivers the edges ab and cb.

Then we go down, applying the direction of the third vanishing point approximately, from a to e and

from c to f. The lines V1e  and V2f contain a square eDfg on the floor.

Through D and g we get the diagonal of the square. Now we can draw a square of any size, for

instance Dkhj, using an arbitrary point h on the diagonal.

Note: knowledge of the third vanishing point wasn't required in my previous construction. Here we

use it roughly.

Klo.png

This solution seems to deliver a rather distorted square, but so far I think my solution is generally

correct. If not, let's do it better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest way to get the scaling in VP is to turn on the grid squares, adjust them to a known reference in the image, and use them as a guide.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this makes sense. So in my case the tiles also need to be of 2ft by 2ft square.. I created one PSD file with a 2ft by 2ft tile and saved the image. I created a larger canvas and multiplied these tiles to create a floor pattern. Using Dave's technique, I should be able to drop the floor pattern image as is. I am assuming the perspective shouldn't be able to change the size of the tiles. (i.e. I should be looking at 2 x 2 tiles in the final)

Will post my picture once I get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess since I am using PS CS2, these are the only options I get for Vanishing Point: I am not sure where I can set the grid size.

2019-01-24 14_12_26-Vanishing Point.png

Anyway I used your method to create the plane from wall behind the urinals and stretched to the right and floor as seen.

First here's what I did for the tiles. I had two 300x300mm tiles (they had slightly different grains). I was required to copy these and place underneath each other so that one tile of 600x600 was created. I left a 2mm space on the edges and 4 mm in the joins for the grouting. I created a larger canvas to create a floor pattern with this.

I copied the floor pattern and dropped it in. This is what i get.

The tiles look stretched at this point.

2019-01-24 14_09_18-Vanishing Point.png

What am I doing wrong here? I need to be able to see roughly 2x2 ft tiles laid out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok i sort of played around got this output.

Floored tiles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines