• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3 reactivation solution DOES NOT WORK

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have invested hours into investigating why my CS3 (which I have used for over a decade without problems) is suddenly unusable after I put my hard drive in a new computer.  It continues to give the same error message, even though I have returned it to the original device.  I have followed the instructions provided by Adobe to generate a new serial number, uninstall the old version (which was CS3), download the "new" file, and after installing it, I am experiencing EXACTLY the same situation as I was before. I can understand not offering troubleshooting on in-depth issues, but it's not acceptable for your product to just stop working with no explanation as to why.  Hundreds of people are asking why this is happening.  If you don't have an answer, don't waste my time by having me invest a ton of time into following your instructions.

Here is the message I received before AND after following Adobe's solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

So, I'm going to be more condescending, if that's what it takes. Because we can't know what you've done unless you tell us.

The key problem is that the original app has left some licensing stuff behind and you have to get rid of it before the new app will work. Did you find and delete the cache.db file? As described in Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 and Acrobat 8 activation server is retired see reply #1 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2372929

-you MUST use the special serial number AND the special installer you download, not your originals

-above includes a link to get the special version AND links to help with activation problems

-more information on activation problems with the new version https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2385900

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't be condescending.  I've already stated that I've followed all of the instructions, used the new installer.  Did you read ANYTHING or just take a 2-second look at the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my message... both links I provided have information on activation problems... did you click both links and work through the steps that were provided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I am again reading through links, which seem mostly specific to Windows and do not apply to me.  What step is it you're assuming I haven't done?

Also, the screenshot for the file to open in one of the links shows 2 files, but the link I've used only has one (see screenshot below).  Is this an incorrect link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 is probably not going to work at all on a new Mac, due to Apple not maintaining backward compatibility with old programs in new operating systems

What is your operating system version?

Look on right side of Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements to find what CS3 is certified to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all helpful AND inaccurate.  I followed the other advice below about removing the cache file, and my program is now working.

I'm confused as to why one of us (the customer) is spending money I don't really have on a babysitter so that I can dedicate my time to wading through multiple links, each one several pages long, which include several other links, lay persons' incorrect advice, and more, while the other one of us is being paid to solve this problem and hasn't created a one page document with all steps included?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Creative Suite installers don't work well on newer Macs.  The terminal workaround is described below.

Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

NOTE: For best results, remove your old CS3 / Acrobat 8 BEFORE installing the replacement version.  Below is a link to the CS Cleaner Tool.  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

And remove the old Adobe PCD folder from

Win: Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Or see  Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8 for more details.

When prompted for serial number, enter the new one.  And click on Never Register.

Restart your computer.

After this year, Apple will stop supporting legacy 32-bit software.   If you upgrade your OS, you'll have to switch from Creative Suite to Creative Cloud. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm going to be more condescending, if that's what it takes. Because we can't know what you've done unless you tell us.

The key problem is that the original app has left some licensing stuff behind and you have to get rid of it before the new app will work. Did you find and delete the cache.db file? As described in Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoever you are, thank you.  I don't know why they can't put these instructions on the same page as the rest of the instructions when you apply for a new serial number, etc.  I'd seen it referenced in some of the threads as I was researching, but half of the people said it didn't work and it seems like a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about answer here, so I didn't want to screw up my computer.

Keep up the good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines