Exit

MiniTOC not formatting as defined

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

* My Alert preferences show all messages

* This is a standalone file (not in a Book)

* My Reference Page defines my Heading1MTOC and Heading2MTOC the same (tab stop setting of 4.7R):

Error_MiniTOC_RefPage_Heading2MTOC.PNG<image001.png>

But in the Body View, even after clicking Update MiniTOC, it doesn’t display correctly:

Error_MiniTOC_BodyPage_Heading1MTOC_expanded.PNG

The MiniTOC displays correctly when I slightly move the right-justified tab stop any amount in either direction. (I thought there was an extra tab character, but there isn't; I also experimented with adding 1 more tab stop closer to the left):

Error_MiniTOC_BodyPage_ShorterTabStop.PNG<image003.png>

But when I click the Save button, that tab stop change is lost and the MiniTOC reverts to the earlier screenshot.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what I’m doing wrong or what I need to adjust to make my MiniTOC display properly.

Thanks,

Guy

P.S.  I now have a 2nd file with the same issue, and in the MiniTOC, the tab symbols appear to the left of the page numbers instead of on top of the page numbers. Does that mean anything or just a quirk of FrameMaker?

Error_MiniTOC_BodyPage_BadMTOC.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guy:

Can you share a screenshot with your cursor in the black text (on the reference page) so that I can see the tab stops? Even better, click in the paragraph and open Paragraph Designer > Basic so that I can see your tab stops in there. And have you updated styles/removed overrides?

Here is how this should be set up:

1. On the MTOC reference page there should be one tab character between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>. (In the orange boxes.)
  2. For both paragraphs, set a single tab stop—right-aligned with leader dots at the same location for both. You can do this either on the ruler or in Paragraph Designer > Basic. Be sure to Update Style for both paragraphs, removing overrides. If you use the ruler you are adding overrides. You still need to update the styles.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 5.25.56 PM.png
  3. View > Body Pages
  4. Insert > Table of Contents > Update Mini-TOC

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 5.33.08 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!

What I didn't know (and what solved it) was your text, "You still need to update the styles" and then I needed to click "Remove Overrides" and now it displays properly.

You also brought up a good point to select a few letters to show the cursor, which I'll do in the future. (my 1st image above has the cursor on the black text--the cursor is the thin line to the left of the tab marker--very subtle!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guy:

I figured that out as I was finishing up that paragraph, realizing that you were using the rulers to set your tabs, and that's why I put it in italics. Toolbar buttons and rulers are great shortcuts, but they all produce overrides so you still have to update your styles.

Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines