4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 1:19 AM by AlinaX

How hard and how long would it take to make this?

roytchaikowsky
      www2.rasterwerks.com/game/phosphor/beta1.asp

They claim that they did this in Director. Did they do it with Director alone or does it look like they used some other applications as well?
        • 1. Re: How hard and how long would it take to make this?
          Level 7
          Looks like it is done in Director. Surely they used some 3d modeling
          software to setup some of the 3d stuff. If you have a good understanding
          of 3d in general and Shockwave 3d in specific, it is certainly possible
          to build something like that. It is fairly complex and how long it
          takes and how hard it is to build would depend very much upon how good
          you are at these things. Setting up the interface, getting the models
          to work properly, programming the bot's AI, dealing with scoring and the
          multiuser setup are not trivial tasks, but certainly doable (as
          evidenced by the fact that they did it here...)
          • 2. How hard and how long would it take to make this?
            roytchaikowsky Level 1
            If I want to ignore the gameplay and only create a 3D environment that I can navigate in (using WASD control), how should I do it? (My aim is to have the 3D environment run under Internet browser.)
            Is Director the correct application to do that? Or should I invest on shockwave 3D for it?
            • 3. Re: How hard and how long would it take to make this?
              Level 7
              > If I want to ignore the gameplay and only create a 3D environment that I can
              > navigate in (using WASD control), how should I do it?

To create a 3D environment you'd usually use a 3D authoring package like
              Max, Maya, Cinema4D, ...
              To provide end-user control over this environment you'd usually link the
              environment created to a scripting engine and write code. Director is
              one option for this, depending on your delivery requirements.

> Is Director the correct application to do that? Or should I invest on
              > shockwave 3D for it?

Director and Shockwave3D are ostensibly the same thing. #shockwave3D is
              the member type of a (native) 3D scene in Director, whereas Shockwave is
              the plugin that allows broswers to run Director files (2D or 3D)
              • 4. Re: How hard and how long would it take to make this?
                AlinaX Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: roytchaikowsky
                If I want to ignore the gameplay and only create a 3D environment that I can navigate in (using WASD control), how should I do it? (My aim is to have the 3D environment run under Internet browser.)
                Is Director the correct application to do that? Or should I invest on shockwave 3D for it?

http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/hopeless.html
                just impressive.