11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 3:46 PM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error

Yaarvin
      I am trying to install Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 on an Intel Mac running Mac OS X 10.4.11. When I open the installer, the first screen (which allows you to select languages) works properly. The second screen, however, does not load properly - I only see a black background and white text that says "InstallAnywhere by Macrovision", a thin white line by this, and a grayed-out "N". There are no buttons or other text on this page.

Does anyone have this same problem? If so, are there any fixes? I initially had this problem with Mac OS X 10.4.10. Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.11 did not fix the error. A similar error also occurs when I try to install the demo version of Flex Builder 2.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
          C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3
          Hi,

The only thing similar to this we've seen in the past is when the installer didn't download completely, but if that were the case the DMG file probably wouldn't verify its checksum. Did you let the DMG image verify when you launched it, or did you skip verification (as I often do)?

C. Agruss
          Flex Builder Team
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
            Yaarvin Level 1
            Chris,

I verified the checksum of the DMG. I also re-downloaded it and re-verified it and I got the same error.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
              Another file that sometimes gets corrupted is this one:
              /Library/Preferences/com.zerog.registry.xml

If you don't see the file there, try looking for it here:
              /Users/<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.zerog.registry.xml

You can delete that file safely, and if that's what was causing the problem, it would be useful to know.

C. Agruss
              • 4. Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                Yaarvin Level 1
                Chris,

That file does not exist on my computer. I checked both locations.

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                  Sounds as if the installer isn't even getting far enough to write that file. Is it possible that permissions need repairing on that machine, so that the installer will have permission to write the files it requires? Even if you're a machine Admin, sometime it helps to run Disk Utility's repair operation to double-check.

Also, try opening a terminal window and typing "java -version" to see exactly which version of java is active on that machine.

Are you able to run other java apps normally on that machine?

C. Agruss
                  Flex Builder Team
                  • 6. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                    Yaarvin Level 1
                    Chris,

Running "java -version", I can see the active version of Java on my system is 1.5.0_13. Other Java applications run fine on my system. I repaired permissions and tried the installer. I got the same errors as before.

I did notice is that the installers for both Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 and the trial of Flex Builder 2 are PowerPC binaries. I am thinking that this error may be related to some problem with running the translated PowerPC application on my Intel Mac.

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                      Thanks for the info. The installers are multi-platform, and we routinely test them every day on both PPC and Intel Macs. Nobody internally has been able to reproduce this problem though. We've run hundreds (if not thousands) of installs on Intel Macs, so there must be something configured differently on your system that we haven't identified yet.

If you go to Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info

This will launch the system profiler, and will let you save a system profile to disk. If you send that to me (or post it here), I'll dig deeper to see if I can find what's different.

C. Agruss
                      • 8. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                        kemppro
                        Chris,
                        I have exactly the same problem as Yaarvin. I try to install flex buider 3 on my G4 PPC macosx 10.4.11 and my G5 macosx 10.4.11 both time with the same error. I unstalled it, try the hole process again, nothing! would it be possible to give us a different link?
                        I tried with buider 2 try version; the same problem.

I wonder if it is the system 10.4.11 that give a problem with flex?
                        Thanks for your help.
                        • 9. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                          Hi,

I have it running on my G5 with 10.4.11 right now, so I'm reasonably sure that 10.4.11 isn't the problem.
                          Also, it sounds as if your problem might be a bit different than Yaarvin's. He can't even get the installer started, but you say that you were able to uninstall, implying that it was at least partially installed.

What exactly happens on your machine(s), and does it give you an error of any sort we can look into?

C. Agruss
                          Flex Builder Team

quote:

Originally posted by: kemppro
                          Chris,
                          I have exactly the same problem as Yaarvin. I try to install flex buider 3 on my G4 PPC macosx 10.4.11 and my G5 macosx 10.4.11 both time with the same error. I unstalled it, try the hole process again, nothing! would it be possible to give us a different link?
                          I tried with buider 2 try version; the same problem.

I wonder if it is the system 10.4.11 that give a problem with flex?
                          Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                            kemppro Level 1
                            Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/
                            Additional Notes: ERROR - java.lang.Exception: Cannot replace existing file &quot;/Users/admin/Documents&quot; with a directory
                            All Install Actions Beneath this Action have not been installed.

hi,
                            it's conforting to know that is not a system version problem. I copied bellow my log problem:
                            Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/.metadata/
                            Additional Notes: ERROR - Install Parent 'Flex Builder 3' failed!

Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/configuration/

Also I called the technical support, nobody can help me. You are my only hope....
                            • 11. Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 Mac OS X Installer Error
                              Thanks for sending the error log - that provides some good clues. First of all, I want to ask you about the path listed as /Users/admin/. Was admin a default user already on your machine, or did you create and log in as a user named admin?

The installer is failing because it cannot create a folder under the path /Users/admin/Documents/, whereas usually you should have full access to that folder if the user named admin has normal Admin rights.

Here are some suggestions for how you can remedy that:
                              1) run Apple's Disk Utility, run its Repair Permissions option, and see if it repairs permissions on that Documents folder
                              2) manually delete any existing folder named /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/
                              3) try installing Flex Builder 3 again, after cleaning things up in steps 1 and 2.

Failing that, try creating a new user on that machine, with Admin rights, and then see if you can install Flex Builder 3 into that user account.

Let me know how it goes,

C. Agruss
                              Flex Builder Team

quote:

Originally posted by: kemppro
                              Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/
                              Additional Notes: ERROR - java.lang.Exception: Cannot replace existing file /Users/admin/Documents with a directory
                              All Install Actions Beneath this Action have not been installed.

hi,
                              it's conforting to know that is not a system version problem. I copied bellow my log problem:
                              Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/.metadata/

Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/configuration/

Also I called the technical support, nobody can help me. You are my only hope....