4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2008 10:51 AM by muzicman82

Seeking some tips with video.

muzicman82 Level 1
      Hello all,

While I haven't started my project yet, I'm just looking for some tips on how I should handle video and images with ActionScript.

We don't have a streaming server, so we need to stick with FLV progressive download. Can ActionScript resize video nicely?

My goal is to have videos be thumbnails, and when clicked on, it goes larger. When clicked again, it goes back to thumbnail. Any suggestions here?

Would it make sense to use ActionScript 3.0 or stick with 2?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Seeking some tips with video.
          Level 7
          It sounds like you want to hand code everything...but, slideshowpro.net does
          all that and a bag of twix.

"muzicman82" <muzicman82@gmail.com> wrote in message
          news:fnngdp$7ke$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello all,
          >
          > While I haven't started my project yet, I'm just looking for some tips on
          > how
          > I should handle video and images with ActionScript.
          >
          > We don't have a streaming server, so we need to stick with FLV progressive
          > download. Can ActionScript resize video nicely?
          >
          > My goal is to have videos be thumbnails, and when clicked on, it goes
          > larger.
          > When clicked again, it goes back to thumbnail. Any suggestions here?
          >
          > Would it make sense to use ActionScript 3.0 or stick with 2?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: Seeking some tips with video.
            muzicman82 Level 1
            Actually, I'm not trying to do that specifically. I'm developing a custom application for a client that involves what my questions refer to. It is not going to be a strict video player or library type of thing.

If slideshowpro provides all of the code and can be customized and modified, then maybe I could it as a starting point... but otherwise I think I'm developing from scratch.
            • 3. Re: Seeking some tips with video.
              Level 7
              if the client is paying for you labor...great....if not, there are many
              different ways to deliver your content via slideshowpro so it does not look
              like a library....

"muzicman82" <muzicman82@gmail.com> wrote in message
              news:fnqd1q$gij$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Actually, I'm not trying to do that specifically. I'm developing a custom
              > application for a client that involves what my questions refer to. It is
              > not
              > going to be a strict video player or library type of thing.
              >
              > If slideshowpro provides all of the code and can be customized and
              > modified,
              > then maybe I could it as a starting point... but otherwise I think I'm
              > developing from scratch.
              >

• 4. Re: Seeking some tips with video.
                muzicman82 Level 1
                They are paying. There's some integration and custom development already involved, but currently does not have video. The current version uses PHP to read ID3 tag information from MP3s to pass along to Flash as XML. I also use PHP to parse directory contents and make playlists. So, I'm not really reinventing the wheel, just adding video to what's there. I started out looking at FLV but couldn't find solutions for reading metadata to video files. This was 2-3 years ago. I'm guessing things have changed now.

We're an AV production company, and this is a post-production product for some live corporate events. So, there's some reasons why I'm approaching things this way... most having to do with the live production AV.