2 people found this helpful
Hey all, in case it's helpful, I was able to at least temporarily remedy my version of this issue via a specific method of creating a new project:
Create new project - navigate to old (memory leaking) project file in Media Browser - double click to open (within Media Browser) - select all contents - right click - Import
Any other version of importing to a new project (for example selecting the project file itself and importing) reproduced the original problem for me.
I'm still working with Wes to diagnose the underlying issue (mine seems potentially linked to multicams) but just in case anyone hasn't tried this particular method to get clear of the problem, it's worth trying.
The situations in my previous post (conforming media/generating peak files) turned out to be coincidental and not the cause.
Ah! Yes, I remember that workaround from the CS versions. I am trying this workaround now with a medium-large project containing a grab bag of formats. It just conformed about a half-a-terabyte of gopro footage; I imported; saved; closed project; reopened project - arghh! Off she goes.
So on a whim I opened After Effects and memory usage went down a little bit. The without loading an AE project I closed AE. Memory usage went down to normal - for a couple of minutes. I figured I was onto something with dynamic link, and the two AE projects that were linked to this Premiere Pro project. So, one at a time, I right-clicked each AE project and chose "edit original". Once each project opened in AE memory usage went down. I double checked that everything was hunky-dory and saved the project. Once both linked projects were complete... seems to be working until I save the project, close and reload.
So, still no solution, but symptoms and attempted solutions seem to point to dynamic link as a possible cause.
I did use the essential graphics panel to Export as Motion Grsphics Template and save in Library on my massive 36 sequence project on Sunday and Monday. Tues is when I ran into trouble in a totally diff project. Maybe it has to do with some dynamic link syncing stuff. It makes me want to disconnect this computer from internet
I'm still playing with some dynamic link stuff with the following results.
After momentary success with "edit original" dynamic link materials I look at the AI and PSD files in the project and do the same - with the same results.
But wait, about 5 minutes after all that the memory spike ended and the system seems to be holding on to using a small amount of memory. None of the other Adobe apps are open. I do have task manager and system resources windows open, as well as a browser, a file explorer window and a command prompt. I am also running a file back-up in the background.
Ten minutes now. Time to save/close/reopen. I hate to do it because I have this window where I can actually get work done.
That was a mistake.
Well, I'm going to go through the dynamic link/AE thing again and at least try to get some stuff done before morning. Maddening.
P.S. I tried to run Premiere Pro with the ethernet disconnected (no wi-fi) - same memory spike.
I was able to work a few hours without the memory spike issue after resetting the dynamic links. By reset I mean the "edit original" thing in my earlier post. It seems to me there is some loop happening inside of dynamic link until you open and resave the linked AE comp, thus "resetting" the link. But I need to do the reset every time I open the project. Hope this info helps.
I think I found a way to make the reset link stick.
After resetting all dynamic links in the project:
- Save the project
- Close PP
- Open PP and create new project and do the import of the reset project through Media Browser panel as described above.
I have only done this for my current project, and after two save/close/reopen cycles it seems to be holding on to the dynamic links.