12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 4:07 AM by mark21549

FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.

SpinGrrl
      Hello Everyone. This one baffles me. When I try to load FlexBuilder, I get a popup message advising the following:

"An error has occurred. See the log file
      c:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2\configuration\1201413244722.log"

note that the log file name changes. Also note that this file doesn't exist. I can't find it anywhere on my computer. Also note that I am running Vista in 32 bit mode. The error of course is not very descriptive, especially since I don't have the log file. I think that this may be due to a corrupt workspace but I'm not sure. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times, and it will work for a while, but then it will come back.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a configuration file I can change the workspace without loading FlexBuilder? If it's a corrupt workspace I would like to try and get around it by pointing FlexBuilder to a different workspace (i have several).

Thanks,
      Amanda
        • 1. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
          WayneMooresville Level 1
          Amanda,

Did you find a work around? My error message is:
          An error has occurred. See the log file
          C:\documents and Settings\...\Flex Builder 2\.metadata\.log
          The log entry is:
          !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 2 2008-02-04 16:24:51.781
          !MESSAGE Job found still running after platform shutdown. Jobs should be canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown: org.eclipse.ui.views.markers.internal.RestartableJob$2

======================
          I have reinstalled Flex several times and it works for a while and then this (or some variant) happens again. What can be done?

Thanks,

Wayne
          • 2. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
            kemppro
            exactly the same problem. I'm on G5 macos 10.4.11 PPC trying to install flex builder beta 3.
            an always the same log error:
            Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/
            Additional Notes: ERROR - java.lang.Exception: Cannot replace existing file "/Users/admin/Documents" with a directory
            All Install Actions Beneath this Action have not been installed.

Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/.metadata/
            Additional Notes: ERROR - Install Parent 'Flex Builder 3' failed!

Install Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/Flex Builder 3/configuration/
            Additional Notes: ERROR - Install Parent 'Flex Builder 3' failed!

Please help us.
            • 3. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
              gary_a_mason
              I'm having the same issue. It started after I tried to switch to a new workspace.
              I am also on Vista. BUT... I am able to startup FlexBuilder if I run it in Administrator mode. Not a good solution, but a workaround that's better than nothing.
              • 4. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                WayneMooresville Level 1
                I've purchased a new drive, installed Xp and now things are working much better. Still had the Flex issue pop up now and then. I solved the last occurance with a fresh re-install. However, since then, I've come across the following:

======================
                When using Flex Builder 3 Beta 3 with a workspace from a previous beta, please clean and reinitialize the workspace. Note that this operation does not remove or alter Eclipse projects residing the workspace in any way.

Windows:
                Go to the install directory; drive:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3, or the root of the Eclipse install directory if using the Flex Builder Plug in
                Edit FlexBuilder.ini or Eclipse.ini in a text editor
                Add the following to the top of the file (not the bottom)
                -clean
                Launch Flex Builder or Eclipse
                Remove –clean after exiting Flex Builder or Eclipse

======================
                Try this and let everyone know if it works. Thanks.

Wayne
                • 5. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                  SpinGrrl Level 1
                  Yes my workaround has been the same thing. I just run as administrator. After doing some research it turns out that this is how Microsoft handles incompatibility issues in Vista. Microsoft actually recommends this:

1. Right-click on the executable
                  2. Select the "compatibility" tab
                  3. Check "run this program as administrator"

This is nice so at least you don't have to manually run the program as administrator every time you run the program. Tho I find it hilarious that this is microsofts workaround!
                  • 6. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                    edvv1n
                    SpinGrrl,

I have the same prob, but i am using window xp,
                    so i doesn't have the "run this program as administrator" option,
                    so u have any idea how i can solve this?
                    have been digging through the web but no one seems to face this prob on XP.
                    much appreciated for the help

edwin
                    • 7. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                      woos55
                      I agree on edvv1n. I'm using window xp professional.
                      and also, I ran as administrator. but this prob occured again.

before fomat my computer. my os is window xp professional too.
                      but this problem never occured.
                      I thought my os are korea version.
                      now.. os is English version.
                      Is it relate to this problem??

• 8. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                        woos55 Level 1
                        one more..
                        I installed FlexBuilder 2 & FlexBuilder3
                        this problem only to FlexBuilder2.
                        I'm using FlexBuilder3 without any problem...
                        • 9. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                          Robert S Level 1
                          This message may be due to plug-in adding and removing from Eclipse. All the data for the "workspace" is located in a file folder called ".metadata" in the workspace root.

I have found that removing that folder and letting Eclipse rebuild it solves many problems with "workspace" issues... Using multiple "FlexBuilder" versions in the same workspace would certainly cause this. As FlexBuilder v. 3 can backwards compile - I would see no reason to have both on the programming computer.

If you have a catostrophic application failure that corrupts the workspace variables - this is the only solution that I found that allows Flex Builder (or more specifically Eclipse) to open.

Hope that helps...
                          • 10. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                            woos55 Level 1
                            Although I have a license, I used Flex2 trial version due to frequently occured problem. and now I have no problem.
                            so...later, I gonna manage my key.
                            if this problem occured again, I try your solution, and let you know.
                            thanks.
                            • 11. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                              woos55 Level 1
                              ".metadata" folder removing is good to me. thanks.^^
                              • 12. Re: FlexBuilder Startup Error - An error has occurred. See log file.
                                mark21549

I had this problem but the log entry "!MESSAGE Job found still running after platform shutdown" isn't the error, further up in the log it should say "!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources" & "!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception" and then a stack trace, the rest is just it shuting down. To fix this I found that deleting all the folders within the ".metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.history" folder fixes it.