13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2006 6:38 PM by Newsgroup_User

URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed

withhisstripes
      I am wondering if anyone has a .swf decompiler. I was working on the final corrections to a flash site for my client Cabinet Source http://www.hookmedia.biz/cabinet_source/v4_f and I had to restart my computer and when I restarted it and tried to open the .fla it said "Failed to open document" and now I can't access it at all. So I am wondering if anyone has a decompiler and if you do would you be willing to convert my .swf to an fla? This is really urgent, I literally was making the final corrections to the site tonight for my client. Thanks in advance.

http://www.hookmedia.biz/cabinet_source/v4_f/index.swf and index.fla
        • 2. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
          Level 7
          Read this

http://www.flashjester.com/?section=faq&cPath=50#224

Regards
          FlashJester Support Team
          e. - support@flashjester.com
          w. - http://www.flashjester.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and
          "mental illness."

• 3. URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
            Nickels55 Level 2
            I trust that you are really in a jam, and not some jerk that didn't pay his designer and wants to update a swf without paying for it.

www.johnkalnin.com/flashhelp/decompiled.zip

That should work.
            • 4. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
              withhisstripes Level 1
              Hey Nickels,
              Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry about the double post. I use another forum that auto subscribes me to my posts and I forgot to subscribe to this one so that's why I accidentally repeated it.
              Now, I downloaded and opened the .fla and it came up very screwy. All the text was changed into something worse than wingdings and all of the navigation is invisible yet only one of the buttons rolls over. It appears though that all of the masks throughout the site are not working (except for the intro scene). And lastly, the .fla should have three scenes yet it clumps the first two scenes into one and doesn't even show the third, which is the site itself.
              Please get back to me as SOON as you can, this project was suppose to be finished yesterday or today and I'm SWAMPED with a second job. Thanks SO much for all your help, I really really appreciate it. Have a great day.

PS I'm using Studio 8, would that have any effect?
              • 5. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                Level 7

"withhisstripes" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ebbst2$aal$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hey Nickels,
                > Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry about the double post. I use another
                > forum that auto subscribes me to my posts and I forgot to subscribe to this one
                > so that's why I accidentally repeated it.
                > Now, I downloaded and opened the .fla and it came up very screwy. All the
                > text was changed into something worse than wingdings and all of the navigation
                > is invisible yet only one of the buttons rolls over. It appears though that all
                > of the masks throughout the site are not working (except for the intro scene).
                > And lastly, the .fla should have three scenes yet it clumps the first two
                > scenes into one and doesn't even show the third, which is the site itself.
                > Please get back to me as SOON as you can, this project was suppose to be
                > finished yesterday or today and I'm SWAMPED with a second job. Thanks SO much
                > for all your help, I really really appreciate it. Have a great day.
                >
                > PS I'm using Studio 8, would that have any effect?

Decompilers are limited to what they can do. When you compile an swf, some things are put together, like scenes and some layers.
                Fonts turn into shapes. Variables get generic names assigned to them. It's not going to be like the original.

Better to take all the useful parts from the library and rebuild a new file with it. It's better than starting from scratch maybe.
                tralfaz

• 6. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                  withhisstripes Level 1
                  Right. But it shouldn't come out like that or it's nearly useless. I can't even edit the site itself as is, so I'd have to start from scratch anyway. I don't believe that decompilers would exist if they only were capable of outputting files like this one. I can understand some objects being changed, etc... but there are just too many other issues for this to have been done correctly I think. Thanks for your input though.
                  • 7. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                    Nickels55 Level 2
                    I am using an old decompilier - D'oh!

I will do it again tonight using the latest version and you'll be fine. Check back tonight or tomorrow for new files.
                    • 8. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                      Level 7
                      "withhisstripes" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ebc3sl$h71$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Right. But it shouldn't come out like that or it's nearly useless. I can't even
                      > edit the site itself as is, so I'd have to start from scratch anyway. I don't
                      > believe that decompilers would exist if they only were capable of outputting
                      > files like this one. I can understand some objects being changed, etc... but
                      > there are just too many other issues for this to have been done correctly I
                      > think. Thanks for your input though.

They are still working out problems with conversions from Flash 8. It does fine on previous versions but I don't have much luck
                      with version 8 yet. (using sothink swf Decompiler)
                      Suggestion to save time..
                      Open the fla made by the compiler in one window and make a new document in another window.
                      Drag all the useful pieces from the old library into your new library.
                      Copy and paste Actionscript from the old into the new.
                      Make your new version. You will have all the building blocks in the library to work with.

In my experience, the second time I make something it always comes out better than the first version.
                      Make incremental saves using new names every day. Don't lose more than one days work that way.
                      luck,
                      tralfaz

• 9. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                        Nickels55 Level 2
                        This one came out better with updated decomplier software:

http://www.johnkalnin.com/flashhelp/decomplied2.zip

Hope ya check back...
                        • 10. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                          withhisstripes Level 1
                          Hey Nickel,
                          THANKS SO MUCH! However, I still can't access the "Site" scene, which would be the third scene. But the wierd part is is that if you select the skip button it still takes you to the "Site" page. Hmm... am I just not looking hard enough for the third scene or what? Thanks!
                          • 11. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                            Level 7

withhisstripes wrote:
                            > Hey Nickel,
                            > THANKS SO MUCH! However, I still can't access the "Site" scene, which
                            > would be the third scene. But the wierd part is is that if you select the skip
                            > button it still takes you to the "Site" page. Hmm... am I just not looking hard
                            > enough for the third scene or what? Thanks!

there is no scenes in flash upon export. Scenes are blank frames giving an end
                            to one and beginning to another timeline. It's only for the authoring convenience
                            but it all is gone when exported to swf.
                            Therefor even with decompiling you will never get some of these things back.
                            You just need to get what you have and redo based on it. No easy one button click
                            "do it all" tool out there.

--
                            Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006 :)

<urami>
                            http://www.Flashfugitive.com
                            </urami>

<web junk free>
                            http://www.firefox.com
                            </web junk free>
                            • 12. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                              withhisstripes Level 1
                              Urami, thanks for your reply!
                              That was what I thought too except that I had this broken into three scenes: preloader intro and site. And in this particular swf the preloader and the intro scenes are combined, yet the site scene is not included. Which leads me to believe there's either some sort of glitch in the software, which is completely possible, or we just didn't do something correctly, which is obviously less likely because it's a pretty basic process of a UI perspective.
                              • 13. Re: URGENT Flash Decompiler Needed
                                Level 7

withhisstripes wrote:
                                > Urami, thanks for your reply!
                                > That was what I thought too except that I had this broken into three
                                > scenes: preloader intro and site. And in this particular swf the preloader and
                                > the intro scenes are combined, yet the site scene is not included. Which leads
                                > me to believe there's either some sort of glitch in the software, which is
                                > completely possible, or we just didn't do something correctly, which is
                                > obviously less likely because it's a pretty basic process of a UI perspective.

as i said in previous post, there is no actual scenes in flash. Scene are blank frames
                                and they are not included when the movie is exported.
                                This is the very reason why we always use label names in action not scene names as using
                                go to (scene name) fail to perform almost 80 % of the time.
                                I don't think it's a glitch, it can't recreate something that isn't there.
                                Think of scene as side note sticker which you never give to client once the job is done.
                                Pretty much it, minor authoring convenience.
                                You can do simply test, animate from frame 1 to 10 than scene 2 from 1 to 10. Export to
                                swf and import to flash. The scene will be a blank frame and frame 1 of scene two will
                                becomes frame 11. Thanks how it works in flash.

Unless, we have some misunderstanding here :) if that's the case than sorry

--
                                Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006 :)

<urami>
                                http://www.Flashfugitive.com
                                </urami>

<web junk free>
                                http://www.firefox.com
                                </web junk free>