6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2008 7:08 AM by Peter Grainge

Formatting lost in FireFox

Swapnil_G
      Hello Friends,

Try visiting: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHTML/7.0/

Using both Firefox and Internet Explorer. The right pane looks alright in IE but not in FF!

RH output is supposed to work well in IE, Safari & FF but often the formatting goes for a toss in FF, specially tables, custom bullets and headings.

Why is that so & what is the solution/workaround to this problem?

Thanks - Hoping for quick replies,

Swapnil Gupta
        • 1. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum Swapmil.

I have just posted to the TWI forum on this.

The link you are pointing to is not pure RoboHelp output so it is not really a test of how RoboHelp handles Firefox.

As I have offered on the TWI forum, if people post the issues they have, I can take them up with Adobe.

• 2. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
            Swapnil_G Level 1
            Hi Peter,

Your defense of RoboHelp is admirable!

Please take the trouble to view the source of the said page, it clearly shows:

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp - www.adobe.com">
            <meta name="description" content="WebHelp 5.50">

If you still think that it is "not pure RoboHelp output" then please let me know what other tools were used to create that help? Seeing as it is the cover page of RH 7, I find it very strange that Adobe uses a second tool on it and still gets the display wrong in FireFox!
            • 3. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
              Sorry but I am not at liberty to explain more so you are going to have to trust me. Can RH be configured to show the search the way that help does? Haven't tried but that might be some evidence of that help not being straight out of the box. My thinking is that as a result, the example you point to might not be representative.

I do accept there are differences in the way the two browsers display but what we need to identify is what doesn't get addressed by the RH functionality that produces a different stylesheet for Firefox. That stylesheet is meant to convert the styles in the base stylesheet so that they look the same in Firefox. What we need is people saying this is the problem **I** face, not pointing out what is wrong in some other output where it could be down to other factors.

So please post here what THOSE differences are and we can make sure Adobe are aware of them. I can't promise they will all get fixed. As with any software company, requests get evaluated and prioritised. But I can promise the issues will get properly evaluated. We enjoy a good working relationship with the development team and they work hard to improve the product.

Lest you think I defend Adobe too much, RH7 is not perfect (what HAT is?) and there have been some teething issues but the guys have responded to our representations on your behalf and are doing their level best to fix them. But even before they do that, I prefer working with RH7 rather than any earlier version.

So everyone, please post here a description of your issues and feel free to email me screenshots of the same topic displaying differently in the supported browsers.
              • 4. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
                Swapnil_G Level 1
                What kind of company depends on the users to provide a list of issues?
                Isn't that the job of professional software testers?
                • 5. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
                  HKabaker Level 2
                  No.

Their job is to test the application to see if it works as designed.
                  • 6. Re: Formatting lost in FireFox
                    Swapnil

You posted that there were issues. I asked what yours were and what for the issues anyone else had. Any software product will have issues that testers do not find. Now is it your wish to get them resolved or just have a pop at Adobe because it is easy? Do you use RH? If you do, why?