11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2008 8:34 PM by newTween

Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder

Pinkomatic
      I've been testing FB3 for two weeks and I started developing only with it, since it compiles much faster than Flash IDE and has a lot of advantages. But not everything is so good. I've been having a lot of issues with SVN, and with using an external .swc with assets.

Since I haven't found a good explanation about how to set the folders right, I was using a deploy folder with html, css, php and my swf files. The first problem I was having is that I could not commit the files in that folder to SVN. Now I think I realized it's because this folder is considered special, and the files can't be committed. If I try to add them to SVN it complains that they are already added, but I don't have the option to commit, or update, or any other SVN related function.

So I had the wonderful idea of going to project properties and, for a moment, empty that box where you specify which is your Output folder. I thought then the folder would not be considered special anymore, I could commit my files, and make it my Output folder again.

Guess what happened? Before I could react my whole folder was gone. Not even to the system Trash. Just erased, without a single warning. Just what I needed 10 minutes before going to sleep.

I think the way this folder is treated should obviously be changed. If you are going to erase thousands of files, a little warning would be useful. Also it should be documented how to keep the structure right.

For example, if I have one main swf and several other swf files with are loaded by the first one, can they all belong to the same Flex Builder project? How can I set different compile parameters for each? If they should be separated projects, how can they all be published to the same folder? If the system erases the whole folder in a case like mine, where should I keep assets or other html/php pages?

About the issues with swc files, the main problem I had is that if I compile that swc and there is something wrong with it, the project that uses the swc will start giving all kinds of strange and non specific errors, which are very hard to debug (errors without file or line number, internal errors, etc).

I just post these so the program can be improved before the final release, and to ask for suggestions from other users. Is there any document out there about different folder structures for larger AS3 projects?
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
          Michael_Latta
          Yes the current FB3 trashes the .svn directories in the output folder which makes SVN think they are adds rather than commits. When you try to add it complains that they are already there. The only solution so far is to copy the contents of the output folder to a scratch area and svn up the output folder, then copy the assets over those fetched from SVN. Then you can commit them. It is a pain, but repeatable process.

On the other issue I sympathize.
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
            kewba11
            I snickered when I read your story. Oh no, not laughing at you, noo, not at all. I'm remembering the last dozen or so commits on my project, the ones with the commit messages consisting of swearing, threats of migration to Git, and I even considered typing cee-vee-ess once but heck, most of those rants just ended up failing into svn-commit.n.tmp.

It was an afternoon full of can't commits, out-of-dates and missing areas. Not sure exactly how I managed to get out of Flex+SVN purgatory, but along the way I exercised svn revert and the remote svn delete quite a bit.
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
              Carmen-Luisa_Ghita
              quote:

Originally posted by: Pinkomatic
              Guess what happened? Before I could react my whole folder was gone. Not even to the system Trash. Just erased, without a single warning. Just what I needed 10 minutes before going to sleep.

I think the way this folder is treated should obviously be changed. If you are going to erase thousands of files, a little warning would be useful. Also it should be documented how to keep the structure right.

Hi Pinkomatic,
              I think you are correct. Please log a bug on this matter.

Carmen

• 4. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                jvcleave
                The issue of not being able to commit the deploy folder is killing us here as we are trying to get everyone into version control. Subclipse works fine with other project types (FDT) so thinking it may be the fact it was named "deploy" in my project configuration I went and changed the folder "to_deploy" in the project properties. Just as I did this my files too went into the great data hole in the sky.
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                  Pinkomatic Level 1
                  Uh... I had not visited the bugs.adobe.com site. After doing that I'm sure I treid to work with FB3 too early. There are hundreds of bugs, some of them I experienced myself. Since it is a public beta I thought it was usable with some minor inconveniences, but I think there are many serious issues that render it unusable.

Three people at our company tried to use FB3, because the first feeling is good. It seems to work. Then we have been running into a really bad problem: when you compile or debug, the swf is not created anymore. The old version is displayed in the browser, so you can't see any of your changes. When you try to debug, it can't connect to the debug anymore, so you can't use any trace()... The only way to generate the file new is to use the release quality build, which is very slow. Restarting does not solve the issue. Refresh, clean up also doesn't. I fixed this creating the whole project again, with thousands of files and all that. Another team member tried that and it didn't solve the issue. I have the impression that maybe some temporary file or configuration file is damaged, maybe locked for writing.

So we will just move to FB2 or maybe FlashDevelop + Flex SDK. One of our team members uses just TextMate (!) and Flex SDK and he doesn't have all these problems we have with FB3...
                  • 6. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                    Pinkomatic Level 1
                    I was wondering... why did I try working with it on the first place? Well, I was convinced by:

"This final beta release focuses on overall quality and performance, providing a final look at Flex Builder 3 prior to launch. Please use this opportunity to further explore the new features, communicate any final feedback, and test your existing Flex applications using the Flex 3 framework."

If you look at bugs.adobe.com I think this is not about 'final feedback' :)
                    • 7. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                      matt_chotin Level 3
                      Sorry that you seem to be running into problems with the build.Have you filed bugs about this and made sure they had enough votes to become new and not community status? If you want to post bug numbers here we can take a look.

I must admit that your setup of checking in your bin folder to source control is not what we usually do. Usually you want the "source" in source control, not the final output. I realize that sometimes that doesn't work if the other folks on your team don't normally use source control and build systems so you need to just get things working, but it may be that you want to find some simple workarounds like a script that copies files to the final folder which you'd then check in (as Michael mentions above). We can certainly see if we can figure out why the .svn folder is being deleted from the bin though, I wouldn't expect that to happen by default. Subclipse is installed I assume?

As for not loading the recently built SWF, are you sure there were no compiler errors preventing the new SWF from being created? You said you tried cleaning the project? Have you made sure that all your browsers were closed so that no Flash Player was running? What happens if you try to change the run setting to load the SWF itself instead of the HTML wrapper? Maybe you renamed the main file and the html template didn't get updated?

Anything where you can file a bug will help us figure things out.
                      • 8. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                        Michael_Latta Level 1
                        In my case I put the swf/html under source control because they are needed to operate the site, and the rest of the site is Ruby which has no "build" process. Having a build step that is required to generate the artifacts is foreign to the Ruby on Rails model of working. While it makes more sense with things like Java where you are doing build/deploy processes, it makes less sense when the general model is to check all artifacts into the source control system. I would think that PHP sites would also expect to just place the SWF files under control for a site.

In all cases there should be a repeatable documented means of recreating any generated artifacts. But, there are good reasons to not want to introduce that process on every change to a site.
                        • 9. Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                          jvcleave Level 1
                          I filed a bug last night here:
                          https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-11894

and I see it has been reported also here:
                          https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-11583

On that, I think a link to the bug tracker should be on this page:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder3/

Maybe as a #8 item as the page sends you here to provide feedback. I think this would help others see existing bugs and campaign for them.

Similar to Michael the assets in the deploy folder (xml, images, php, etc) are just as important for us to keep versioned. Also, if I moved these outside the deploy folder I wouldn't be able to launch the URL and have the piece work without changing paths inside the Actionscript.
                          • 10. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                            Pinkomatic Level 1
                            quote:

Have you filed bugs about this and made sure they had enough votes to become new and not community status? If you want to post bug numbers here we can take a look.

Not really. The issue with committing the deploy folder bug has been filed, together with the folder being deleted. Other issues I've been having are harder to reproduce. I don't have problems with small projects consisting of a few files, only with the company product which has hundreds of assets and classes. I have the impression the problems we have is the use of swc files which are generated from the Flash IDE and used in Flex Builder.

As someone else commented, we commit the bin folder because it does not only include the resulting swf, but the rest of the website which should be in svn. We have the target folder on svn accesible from our webserver, so our team can test the application directly when we commit. But yes, we could solve this running a script that copies the produced swf file to another folder which can be sent to svn. About your question, yes, subclipse is installed (if I remember right it comes installed with Flex Builder? Now I'm not sure since I also tried FB plugin version).

About the issue when the built SWF is not visible, there are no compiler errors. At least on the FB console. There is no information at all. It feels like the build button suddenly became the 'open browser' button, skipping building altogether. And yes, I tried everything: cleaning the project, restarting FB, closing the browser. I don't use the default settings for running the HTML wrapper. I use links to my local webserver, calling a PHP file. I erased the cache of the browser, even deactivated it. When I use the Export Release Build it works, but as I said, much slower. When I try to do the normal export after that, again does nothing.

But again this is not easy to debug. I know as a programmer you need to know which steps provoke the situation, and right now, after I created my project again, it's working... I will post again if I have more details.
                            • 11. Re: Flex Builder 3 erased all my deploy folder
                              newTween Level 1
                              I guess I'm not crazy or experiencing operator error. I had my project html in my output folder public/bin. Now I do a clean build and there is nothing. I run my browser:

http://localhost:3000/bin/Pomodo.html

and nothing.

Look into public/bin It's gone. The html is gone, no swf either. It was there at one time.

Pinkomatic's only solve was to rebuild the project. Great.

When does FB 3 Final no bugs release?