2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 4:15 PM by jonnybennett

download to temp internet files

jonnybennett Level 1
      Why sometimes when you watch a streamed flv or mp3 does it get downloaded into your temp internet folder?
      Is there a way to make sure that streamed flv, and mp3 are never downloaded to temp internet folder. Thanks to any responders?
        • 1. Re: download to temp internet files
          Greg Dove Level 4
          this is 'normal' for files downloaded via http by the browser. Flash in the browser is just borrowing the browser's connection to download stuff. Whether it happens in practice or not depends on the user's browser settings.

So you can't really stop it. Its a useful part of how the internet works - as a general comment. You can make things a little more obscure by not including the extensions on the flvs or mp3s (or using different extensions e.g. jpg). Flash doesn't really care what the extension is so long as the file content inside is correct for whatever you want to do with it.

Beyond that you have true streaming as an option which works much better and doesn't allow for easy capture of the data (it may still be possible). For that you need flash media server or red5 (e.g.) open source option.
          • 2. download to temp internet files
            jonnybennett Level 1
            Thanks for the response, but there are lots of sites, eg... youtube... myspace etc, however they disguise their files they just aren't appearing in my temp Internet folder... they must be doing something to stop the files from getting downloaded... any ideas what?....
            .... sorry I think I get it... youtube etc use flash media server or red5 so therefore have true streaming and therefore dont get files stored in temp internet folder.??? huh?