1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2008 8:33 PM by Newsgroup_User

Handling multiple languages

pazpower
      I have a website that is currently in Polish language. Now I want to do also introduce and do it in English but the problem I'm facing is that I have a one backend database and I don't want to dupliacte the pages all over. If I just duplicate my pages that I need to change the fron-end text on and use the same action pages... is that a good approach to do it? What happens if there is a conflict when the form is being submitted using Polsih and English langauges would be in deadlock? Will ColdFusion handle this situation is a good way?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Handling multiple languages
          Level 7
          pazpower wrote:
          > I have a website that is currently in Polish language. Now I want to do also
          > introduce and do it in English but the problem I'm facing is that I have a one
          > backend database and I don't want to dupliacte the pages all over. If I just
          > duplicate my pages that I need to change the fron-end text on and use the same
          > action pages... is that a good approach to do it? What happens if there is a
          > conflict when the form is being submitted using Polsih and English langauges
          > would be in deadlock? Will ColdFusion handle this situation is a good way?

it's good practice to use resource bundles for this sort of thing. you keep the
          same cf code & substitute the translated text for each user's locale.

you can read more here:
          http://www.sustainablegis.com/blog/cfg11n/index.cfm?mode=cat&catid=6D990B76-50FC-543B-1FA4 AB2B1CE26EFC

also the i18n chapter in the latest cf book is available online:
          http://www.forta.com/books/0321515463/CFWACK8-2-EChapters.pdf

please be aware that simply translating text isn;t enough, you'll probably have
          to handle date, number & currency formatting as well as timezones, etc.
          depending on your app.