4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2008 10:58 PM by Peter Grainge

Generating .CHM crashes RoboHelp

vaprocura Level 1
      I am using RoboHelp 6 and, all of a sudden, when I generate my .chm file, it crashes RoboHelp. It was generating just fine. When it crashes, I get that message which states "RoboHelp has encountered a problem and needs to close". The last thing I remember doing before it started acting up was inserting a page link on one of my pages. I've since removed the link and it still crashes. In fact, I even copied the project and removed all but 1 page from the TOC. It still crashes.
        • 1. Re: Generating .CHM crashes RoboHelp
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          That'll teach you to use a build expression and a table with merged cells in the right hand column!

If those statements are true, see Snippets on my site.

• 2. Re: Generating .CHM crashes RoboHelp
            vaprocura Level 1
            I don't think that's it. As a test, I removed all the pages in my TOC and added a fresh page with just the word "test" typed on it and it still crashes.
            • 3. Re: Generating .CHM crashes RoboHelp
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi there

Uhhh, do you think a .CHM only contains pages you see in the TOC? If so, you are ever so sadly mistaken. There may be tons of topics inside your .CHM file that never see the light of day in a TOC.

Try this. Create a totally new project containing only a single page. Compile and see if it crashes. Then begin importing pages from the errant project a few at a time. Compile. When you reach the point where things crash, you have narrowed down the culprit.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Generating .CHM crashes RoboHelp
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                Two tests.

Compile without a build expression. Does it still crash?

If it does, create a new project and put in a table. In the right hand column merge two cells. Tag any one of the topics. Create a build expression and apply it when you build. Does that crash.

If the first answer is No and the second is Yes, my theory is proved. Then see Snippets for the answer. Otherwise follow Rick's test to find what else is causing it.