1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2008 3:54 PM by aniebel

moving to AS3....

jsteinmann Level 1
      talking to a lot of "flash guys" i get the impressions that there impression of AS3 is... "do I really have to?" Clearly a love hate type situation as becoming an expert in AS2 makes you a virtual beginner with no experience with AS3. That's hard to swallow for those that make a living at it.

In my case, I dabble in flash to add things like headers to sites, so my knowledge and experience is limited. Am I better off just burning every AS2 book I own at this point for fear of old way thoughts creeping into my head? AS3 is SO different... heck... i can't even figure out how to setup a darn mouse event to geturl at this point.

by the way, what do you think of this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590598156/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1TW3N16F0W5V5&col id=39YKEJ0FEDSG8

Foundation ActionScript 3.0 with Flash CS3 and Flex

I have another friends of ed flash book and it was very good (but it's AS2)
        • 1. Re: moving to AS3....
          aniebel Level 2
          Hiya, I am a designer/developer who started out designing in Flash 4 and swore I'd never ever code. Some how I found myself learning AS2 a few years back. When AS3 came along I was, once again, terrified. As it turned out, I had a chance to develop a project that had no deadline and allowed me to experiment with AS3. At first, it was a nightmare but I quickly got up to speed with the syntactical differences. I even learned enough to create my first AIR app!

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a bit daunting at first but I recommend making the jump if you have the opportunity. You will most likely still have a need for your AS2 skills so there's no need to worry about that. I also recommend any Friends of Ed books because from a design background, they seem to be much easier to digest.