4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 1:45 PM by Newsgroup_User

CS3 vs CS4

Sam Winterhawk
      I am pretty new to DW. Currently I use Version CS3 . I noticed that CS4 is now released. Is there a major difference between CS3 & CS4. I am very low on money so I have to think a dozen times before spending for upgrade.

I am trying to setup a simple application where customers validate their UID/PW to a MySQL backend. I have couple of other requirements to update data. Nothing sophisticated! Please be honest. Do I need to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 or I can get by just using CS3. FYI, I am real,real newbie.
        • 1. Re: CS3 vs CS4
          Level 7
          First tell us - what is your skill level with HTML and CSS?

> Do I need to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 or I can get by just using CS3

The upgrade will do nothing for your immediate application. But there are
          lots of potentially important improvements to other aspects of the program
          that you may or may not find meaningful. Why not install the trial version
          of CS4 and see for yourself?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Sam Winterhawk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkt5lq$9sk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am pretty new to DW. Currently I use Version CS3 . I noticed that CS4 is
          >now
          > released. Is there a major difference between CS3 & CS4. I am very low on
          > money so I have to think a dozen times before spending for upgrade.
          >
          > I am trying to setup a simple application where customers validate their
          > UID/PW to a MySQL backend. I have couple of other requirements to update
          > data.
          > Nothing sophisticated! Please be honest. Do I need to upgrade from CS3 to
          > CS4
          > or I can get by just using CS3. FYI, I am real,real newbie.
          >

• 2. Re: CS3 vs CS4
            Ben M Adobe Community Professional
            For basic use I would say no. I still use CS3, money was one issue, but the fact that my computer is no longer supported despite the fact the beta of CS4 ran fine and I plan on waiting for CS5 and a new Macbook Pro the next time around. As long as you upgrade within 3 versions of yours Adobe is ok with you skipping versions.
            • 3. Re: CS3 vs CS4
              Level 7
              > As long as you upgrade within 3 versions of yours Adobe is ok with you
              > skipping versions.

Yep, that's right. That's the policy as it stands today.

Note however that only a couple of years ago you could upgrade from any
              prior version so it pays to check if this policy changes with each new
              upgrade cycle. When the "3 versions back" rule came into being, Adobe's
              forums were full of regular upgraders urging upgrade skippers to upgrade
              before it was too late to get the upgrade price.

Adobe's policies are very much a work in progress.

--
              Regards

John Waller

• 4. Re: CS3 vs CS4
                Sam Winterhawk Level 1
                My experience level is 2-3 on a scale of 10.