8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2019 5:06 PM by benjaminstooke

Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro

NGerman Level 1

Pictured below are two screenshots of the exact same clip. On the left is how the footage looks straight out of camera. On the right is the clip imported into and then exported out of Premiere Pro (with no effects applied). Why does the right one look so much darker?

Footage was shot on Canon EOS R in 1080P (All-I) format

This is Premiere version 13.0.3 on Mac OS Mojave.

Interestingly, in the little preview in the project window, it looks like normal colors, but after I drag it into the timeline, it gets darker.

Darker.jpg

• 1. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
          Meg The Dog Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a screen shot of your sequence settings?

Also, try toggling (on if off, off if on) the preference setting for display color management and see if that changes anything Preferences > General . Enable display color management:

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 7.24.50 AM.png

MtD

• 3. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
            R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Compared to ... what?

The very common discussion on here ends up being that Mac you're working on has a P3 monitor in that wide gamut space, and you don't have a calibrated monitor set to proper video standards of video sRGB/Rec.709 and gamma 2.4. Plus you're probably comparing this using the most color stupid player out there, QuickTime.

And then wonder why things don't match.

There is NO set color/tonality to the pixels that will be seen the same everywhere. Period.

The only way to view media correctly is for the user to intentionally set their OS/monitor to the correct color space and gamma for the media and calibrated with a puck/software tool at the very least.

So ... have *you* checked your OS color settings for the monitor/s used? And set the monitors to the correct color space?

And of course do not use QuickTime to ***** quality outside of Pr. Potplayer and VLC are free and do respect color.

Do you know how to read and use the scopes in Lumetri?

Neil

• 4. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
              NGerman Level 1

So, it sounds to me if I understand your response correctly, you are saying that the problem is either with my monitor or with Quicktime, correct?

That doesn't make any sense to me. Both clips previewed above were in quicktime on the same monitor so even if it is true that the app or the monitor may not be displaying the correct color information, wouldn't you still expect the two clips to at least look identical?

And yes, I do know how to use the scopes, but as I said in my original post, this is with absolutely no color grading applied. All I did was import the clip into Premiere and immediately, it looks significantly darker than it did straight out of camera.

• 5. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
                R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can check the clip on the sequence, in Lumetri click icon the Masterclip tab right below the top header, and see if Pr for some reason Pr applied a Masterclip effect. If so, undo it.

This is probably a case where the user needs to understand and apply basic color management to their system. Most people think color is "set correctly" and automatically by their system and it isn't.

Between your OS settings and Monitor settings and video player setters and video card settings there are a ton of things designed to "help the viewing experience" that do wrong things. The user needs to find and kill any auto or assisting option.

Then make sure your monitor is set to video sRGB and Rec.709.

If you haven't done that, you *will* get odd things between players and even what you think are similar media clips.

And gave no confidence whatever that what you're seeing in any app is "correct".

Pr is set internally to standard video sRGB and Rec.709 with gamma 2.4. But it doesn't control any of your hardware or OS. QuickTime cares not one whit about color, it just splashes pixels across the screen. And similar clips can have different things about them that don't seem obvious.

Until your OS and monitor are set to video sRGB and Rec.709 you will have difficulty. You may be able to check the "apply display color management " option in the Preferences and get a bit closer than you are now, but it's a bandaid not a fix.

Neil

• 6. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

"Variants of this question have been covered to death on this and every other color grading forum. The answer is always the same.  The only way to get a [proper] image you can trust is to run SDI [or HDMI] out to an accurately calibrated reference monitor.  Grading by viewing the image in the GUI just doesn't work."  - Jamie LeJeune

DeckLink | Blackmagic Design

AJA Desktop I/O Tools: Work with the Products You Use Everyday

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
                    carolinesears Adobe Employee

Hey NGerman!

We're investigating this issue and I've got some lengthy questions for you. Would you mind sending me a message on here or DMing us on Twitter @AdobeCare? They'll send you to me if you ask for Caroline.

Thanks!

Caroline

• 8. Re: Footage appears darker after imported into Premiere Pro
                      benjaminstooke Level 1

I am having the exact same issue. I rendered from Cinema4d (with octane) the regular frames import fine but the denoised frames import extremely dark. Opening the frames in any other adobe program I see the image with the correct colouring but with premiere its ridiculously dark.