11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2008 3:15 PM by YHKWan

New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)

Navarro Parker Level 3
      Anyone hear of those other workflow type features that aren't mentioned in Adobe's marketing bulletpoints? I'm looking for multiple undos/history, and inverted stage layers (so layers stack from bottom to top -- so it'll be like every other flipping program in the world).
        • 1. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
          liveoak
          I'd assume that anyone that knows is under a NDA for their beta test agreement. It's due out in 3 weeks, so we all should know more then.
          • 2. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
            Level 7
            I'd be very surprised if either of your items were addressed, so don't
            hold your breath.
            • 3. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
              Brian Stew Level 2
              I faintly remember Photoshop 2 only had one level of Undo, and they were criticized for being slow to pick this up. Director has been the last 'major app' to have only one level of Undo for nearly ten years already. This (lacking) feature is over ripe for the museum. Or perhaps when it's been so long since it should have been fixed it's become some kind of novelty. It will bring a sentimental tear to the eye of long time multimedia developers ("they've even included the old dreaded single Undo - how sweet - sniff!"), and it will actually become a selling point; like Retro Software...
              I'll laugh if it's still there. A mad laugh.
              • 4. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                thismarty Level 1
                This will be a pretty telling item for me too.

We've heard for years that adding a more robust Undo subsystem to Director would involve the kind of low-level coding associated with a major retooling of the product. And, we've heard that the reason the feature-list of D11 sounds so much like a maintenance release is because they've been doing so much major retooling of the product under the hood, ostensively in order to make it a platform for future revisions.

So, if they did indeed do a major update and yet still didn't add Undo to this "platform for the future" version of Director, you can probably forget about expanded Undo for a while. Or, possibly worse, perhaps this the major, under-the-hood retooling we've been told about wasn't so major after all.

Either way no multi-Undo in D11 sends me a bad signal.

• 5. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                  HairRaiser
                  I'd like to know if .psd (layers) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.
                  • 6. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                    Level 7
                    I'd be really surprised if there will *ever* be more than one level of
                    undo, and even this single instance isn't to be relied on. Given the
                    scope of changes that can be made to almost every aspect of Director
                    using code executed from either a script or directly from the message
                    window I can't imagine how a history could be sensibly maintained.
                    • 7. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                      Level 7

My favorite undocumented but updated feature from D10 was how they changed
                      (screwed up) how MIAWS work. Surely there will be some more updates like
                      that.

• 8. New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                        Brian Stew Level 2
                        quote:

Originally posted by: HairRaiser
                        I'd like to know if .psd (layers) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .pdf (Acrobat) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .eps (PostScript) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .ai (Illustrator) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .flv (Native Flash Video - not just .swf) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

...all of these are well known and widely used file formats developed and owned by Adobe through many years. While Director was a Macromedia program it made sense that you'd need third party xtras to access these file formats. Now it doesn't.

As for multiple Undo's, of course this can be solved. In Flash this is sometimes slightly messy, but it works. You can open a script and undo things you did there before you closed it. When selecting the Stage, Timeline and Library (Cast) you have a separate Undo buffers there, and so on. This is how it must work. It's all about remembering positions and states, and as current computers have abundance of memory this is no longer a concern.
                        • 9. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                          HairRaiser Level 1
                          Wow!

quote:

Originally posted by: mikromidas
                          quote:

Originally posted by: HairRaiser

I'd like to know if .pdf (Acrobat) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .eps (PostScript) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .ai (Illustrator) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

I'd like to know if .flv (Native Flash Video - not just .swf) is one of those 40+ recognized file formats of this D11.

...all of these are well known and widely used file formats developed and owned by Adobe through many years. While Director was a Macromedia program it made sense that you'd need third party xtras to access these file formats. Now it doesn't.

As for multiple Undo's, of course this can be solved. In Flash this is sometimes slightly messy, but it works. You can open a script and undo things you did there before you closed it. When selecting the Stage, Timeline and Library (Cast) you have a separate Undo buffers there, and so on. This is how it must work. It's all about remembering positions and states, and as current computers have abundance of memory this is no longer a concern.

• 10. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                            Ged_mc Level 1
                            The Adobe Director 11 Feature List is a little ambiguous. It says "also with support for actionscript 2 files" are we to assume actionscript 3 swf files are supported ?
                            • 11. Re: New Features in D11 (that aren't mentioned)
                              YHKWan
                              Can anyone give me a plain english answer on this:
                              I created with Director MX an .exe to play a sequence of Flash .swf controlled by a text Playlist. I can playback any frame-by-frame animation .swf without any problem. (I need 90 actual frames on .swf at 30fps for a 3 sec sequence of a man walks from left to right) But when it comes to playback a .swf animation that is created with actionscript (say a 5 sec bouncing ball animated entirely by actionscript and has only one frame on the Timeline with Flash), Director can only play that single frame at whatever fps set with Director.

So with the support of actionscript 2 on D11, can I be able to playback the full 5 sec bouncing ball animated by actionscript?