15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 6:47 PM by Thistledowne

ArtemisJSExtension error on compile

scribintoons Level 1
      I am getting a sporadic error when building AIR in Flash CS3. If I keep hitting Debug movie, it will eventually launch my AIR app.

Dialog:
      quote:

At line 260 of the file ".\ArtemisJSExtension.cpp":
      Cannot find file /AIK//bin//asl.exe

The file is there. It works most of the time. I don't know what's going on.
        • 1. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
          san_flash Level 2
          hi scribintoons,

Does it happen with a particular fla or any fla? If it happens to just one fla you tried, please send me the source fla so I can try reproducing it. blaze_bugs@adobe.com.

Thanks,
          San
          • 2. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
            scribintoons Level 1
            San,

I've seen this bug in different FLAs and on different computers. (They are both running Vista SP1).

Sorry for the delay - I don't check Adobe forums often.
            • 3. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
              san_flash Level 2
              Please send me the fla and the xml files so I can try reproducing the problem. Also, are you running release version of AIR Update for Flash?

blaze_ bugs@adobe.com

Thanks,
              San
              • 4. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                katopz@sleepydesign.com Level 1
                confirm this issue random happened, in my both computer
                - offline pc never update service pack
                - online pc most last update service pack also last adobe and all other product

but it's work fine when publish .air
                • 5. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                  katopz@sleepydesign.com Level 1
                  another clue
                  1. it's only pop when debug mode
                  2. when you copy /AIK folder to root path C:\, it's just found that file which mean class path problem?
                  • 6. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                    san_flash Level 2
                    I believe it used relative path to locate the AIK folder. AIK folder is in the same directory as flash.exe. So when you moved it to C:/, the error is gone? Is flash installed on C:\Program Files?

Thanks,
                    San
                    • 7. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                      SeaBream
                      I'm getting this error too and I can reproduce with 100% success. I'm using AIR 1.1 on Flash CS3 on Windows XP.
                      All I need to do is load a large project which takes about 30 seconds to compile. I select "Debug Movie" and then switch to another application such as FireFox. Produces the "At line 260 of the file ".\ArtemisJSExtension.cpp":
                      Cannot find file /AIK//bin//asl.exe" every time. I don't get this problem if I don't switch applications or select "Test Movie". As far as I can remember I didn't get it with AIR 1.0 but this may be because I didn't compile a large enough project.
                      • 8. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                        vvk80
                        I'm getting the following:

At line 650 of file ".\ArtemisJSExtension.cpp":
                        TypeError: fl.getDocumentDOM() has no properties

Flash CS3, Win XP SP2, AIR 1.1, big project

• 9. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                          Thistledowne Level 1
                          It seems this thread has been abandoned. I too have been having this problem since the AIR beta was released, the

"At line 260 of file".\ArtemisJSExtension.cpp":
                          Cannot find file /AIK//bin//adl.exe."

Error that pops up. As said above, repeatedly hitting debug will eventually give success, but it's a great waste of time.

I've posted this error to the Adobe forums for AIR developers but nothing ever came of it.

It may be conincidence but I generally can get the debugger to launch correctly if I delete ASO and test, kill that and then try launching the debugger. Again, a huge waste of time to wait 30 seconds for each each and every time, but, there you are.
                          • 10. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                            Thistledowne Level 1
                            As a followup, I have to agree with SeaBream that the duration of compile time seems to be related to the success/failure of a debug launch. If I'm CPU utilization is high (say running several programs with heavy threads such as a DVD transcoder, Mp3 player w/ visualizations, etc), and the progress bar takes a long while to get to the midway point, then I get the failure. If it progresses more normally and reaches the halfway part w/o freezing, I get a successful debug launch.
                            • 11. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                              abeall Level 3
                              I'm getting this error:

At line 650 of file ".\ArtemisJSExtension.cpp":
                              TypeError: fl.getDocumentDOM() has no properties

Isn't Artemis an AIR bridge for Java that got abandoned?
                              • 12. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                                Thistledowne Level 1
                                Again, isn't it nice how the thread was abandoned...

It's not just CPU utilization that's an issue... NOTHING else can be done while it's packaging/exporting. This is a problem with large projects. It takes forever to package/export. The progress bar reaches about 30 percent and then hangs.... after a while it continues again.... if you wait a few seconds, you can use your computer while it finishes it's tasks. If you click out or otherwise make Flash lose focus during the first 30 percent or so, or during the freeze, or during the first few seconds after the thaw, you'll get a Line 260, Artemis... error.

It takes about 4 minutes now for a simple edit to be packaged/exported to be tested. It's become a nightmare.

Where are the adobe folks? The probably answer is 'buy CS4' regardless of whether or not the problem was addressed.
                                • 13. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                                  Thistledowne Level 1
                                  Sorry for my tone... Just grumpy.. This seems a pretty big deal and I think we've pretty clearly defined the symptoms (and I've seen the same conclusions formed on other sites after googling over the past several months.)

• 14. ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                                    DigitalArchitectCanada Level 3
                                    I had no idea about this error until recently. All of a sudden I'm getting SCREWED over here, I can't add a single new item to my AIR app because this stupid error gets thrown. Actually, it only gets thrown when I try to rename any of the elements in my library. When I publish, it doesnt throw the error (unless I've just renamed), but when the publish comes out, ALL MY AS CODE IS NOT INCLUDED AND IT GIVES MY BUTTONS/ITEMS DEFAULT LABELS AND NOTHING WORKS. Now its 3:00 am and [BLEEPED OUT CAUSE OF HOW MAD I WAS].

Heres an update:

Hey there. I was rude I know :( but honestly. Anyway just wanted to share with everyone that if you're running CS3 you can google and find the air 1.5 SDK, extract it into "flashdirectory/AIK" and this will fix this bug. Make sure you move the existing contents of the "flashdirectory/AIK" into a backup folder first. Currently working on a solution so you can build against 1.5 and use all the new features in CS3.
                                    • 15. Re: ArtemisJSExtension error on compile
                                      Thistledowne Level 1

BUMP

Anybody ever see this issue addressed by Adobe?

A possible solution is given at the bottom, but I believe it was pre AIRv2 (no?).

Anyone have any ideas?   This is again sucking development time into the ether.