Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VCard with Excel and Data Merge (QR-Code) to txt or csv

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have about 2000 different business cards witch must be updated with a CR-code containing a VCard.

I am already using an excel-sheet with data-merge (Company, Title, FName, LName, Phone, E-Mail, etc.)

I would like to generate an auto-QR-code (VCard) on the business cards by using my excel-sheet and data merge.

The VCard/QRcode must contain these categories:

Company

Title

FName

LName

Phone

I have already added a new column "#CRcodes" but i don't know how to implement the categories correctly.

I have found this from adobe:

BEGIN:VCARD\nVERSION:2.1\nN:Smith;John\nFN:John Smith\nORG:Adobe \nTITLE:Ingenieur\nTEL;CELL:+919876543210\nTEL;WORK;VOICE:123456789\nADR;WORK:;;Straße ABC;Seattle;Washington;98101;USA\nEMAIL;WORK;INTERNET:abc@adobe.com\nURL:www.adobe.com\nEND:VCARD

So I simply tried this - but I guess its for a .txt and not for my excel-sheet:

BEGIN:VCARD\nVERSION:2.1\Company\Title\FName\LName\Phone\E-Mail\nEND:VCARD

I dont know what nVERSION:2.1 means?
Or what the n stands for?

Its a bit complicated i know but i hope somebody can help me out here!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this. You could batch/create the codes upfront, and link into Excel/InDesign as image.

http://goqr.me/api/doc/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for your answer

Maybe I am getting it wrong but it seems like I would have to input all information 1 by 1 for all Employers.

I have 2000 employers with information already listed in my excel-sheet. Also we have our own business-card-design.

This is why i am looking for a rather easy way to include a QR-code on my master-layout (indesign) and simply import my excel-sheet via data merge.

I don't really want to necessarily input all 2000 employers manually to accomplish a VCard-link on our new business-cards . Would be nice if the QRcode could grab all info (Company, Title, FName, LName, Phone, E-Mail) from my excel-sheet and plop it in via data merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we talk "out of the box", then InDesign isnt able to do this like you want. What the DataMerge can do, is place images. The column of your Excelsheet/csv/txt mit beginn mit an @, like @images. Now you have to feed the exact filepath to your rows, and InDesign starts placing via DataMerge.

But to do so, every entry of your list needs a file+path to be loaded.

Today i stumbled upon a script, which gets data from an URL and downloads it, and places the image in InD. But to make use of that, you would have to mimic your own datamerge by script, i guess.

So my suggestion would be:
• Fiddle with the QR-API

• Prepare the links in Excel*• Find a way to automate the export (script the browser)
• And feed the paths to the corresponding cells

*In Excel, just use as formular
="https://qrcode.tec-it.com/API/QRCode?data=BEGIN%3aVCARD%0d%0aVERSION%3a2.1%0d%0aN%3a"&A2&"Max"&"+"&B2&"%0d%0a"

The syntax for strings is "Mystring" & "mystring2" & A1 & "mystring3"
Result: Mystringmystring2Fritzmystring3
Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-14 um 15.32.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a preview, an image fetched from the DataMerge. If youre on MacOS, be sure to save paths like
Users:FritzBrause:Desktop:Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-14 um 15.38.31.png

But, if this is doable via DataMerge, to fetch the images from an URLs, i ask for Colin Flashman​ to assist you. Hes very skilled when it comes to scripting DataMerge, who may has a wider toolset for you.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-14 um 15.48.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm late.

I think I can help. I'd written an article on how to do this over at InDesignSecrets: https://indesignsecrets.com/data-merge-qr-codes-explained.php

The linked article explains that in Adobe's help page for the issue, there's a typo and information that isn't required. The article also explains how to use the concatenate feature in Microsoft Excel, though upon reflection the concatenate feature could just be replaced by using ampersands to join text strings together. Combine text from two or more cells into one cell - Office Support

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thx Guys,

I will try this out this weekend and give a report - and hopefully a solutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...no solution for this after trying several times.

Alternative: Im generating QR-Codes by typing all info manually

Still... thx for all the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still not fixed, right?

I am facing the same situation. I can't find a way to make the "BEGIN:VCARD--END:VCARD" PlainText to prompt a vcard response from my QR code reader.

I'm using Adobe InDesign 18.3 (Windows).

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite clear on your problem - that a plain text QR code is not being recognized as a vCard entry?

You may find this useful:

https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/DPR/dpr_qrcodes.php

It is very much possible to get readers to recognize any valid data type, from a plain text structure, but the details of the encoding must be exact. 

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>From the excel Data Merge, the code for the vCard appears in the QR
dialogue as Plain Text. So, even if a QR appears, the QR reader does not
open a vCard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the merged data is faulty with respect to the encoding.

There is no difference between the form-driven code creation and so-called plain text creation; the forms just create the same encoding strings (with assistance in getting the details right). So if a plain text string does not work, it has a fault that needs correction. Whether this is a fault of the merge setup, or a glitch in merge itself, can be checked by examining the actual string encoded in the QR.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer!

I have indeed checked many times the code and it turns out that when copying the table from Access to Excel (csv), the last text of some cells was not copied. All started with "BEGIN:vCard" but not all finished with "END:vCard". I don't know of any limitation, but i reduced the text and it all worked out.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, I have the same situation, I make the code in excel with concatenate,
but in indesign it recognizes this code is plain text! How do you suggest making the code for the entry vcard?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that when the QR code is scanned, it doesn't appear as a vcard but rather as plain text... or in InDesign's Data Merge, it is a text field rather than a QR code field?

If the former, that could be an issue with the QR Code reader being used; try some other QR code readers to see if the behaviour is the same.

If the latter, make sure that the # symbol is in front of the top row field name that is being used for the QR code

e.g.

name      address    #qrcode    

colin      my house    www.colecandoo.com

or have I misunderstood the question?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, Thanks
i used the code of adobe in excel, whit the concatenate  "  ;   Formula

Its works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, I have been looking for a solution for this everywhere, but I couldn't find it, 

I'm making the datasheet for data merge in Microsoft Excel Software, I have inserted the #QrCode in the top row, and saved as .CSV format and imported to InDesign, but instead of placing QR code, the box only shows the text I have below the #QrCode column, can you please help me to fix it, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering how you got on with your vCards? We produce cards plastic (QR code and NFC), stainless steel (QR code) and bamboo (NFC) business cards that share details as vCards. These cards are setup so that you don't actually have to give them away. Ideal now that Covids made contactless anything more desirable. The printing and marking software can link directly to an excel spreadsheet so we can let the printer run on auto. Our packs have three cards in them for each user which run between $20-$50 USD per pack). We're currently working on an app so that our NFC vCards can be updated, something printed QR codes can't do. Great way to reduce waste and save money. Sorry this has come across as a bit of a sales pitch, it's more to let you know what is out there in case something like this could be a solution to your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines