• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wow. I haven't used Premiere in some time.

Explorer ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I haven't used Premiere in some time. I sat down today to edit some AVCHD .mts video from a Panasonic camera. I thought about upgrading from CC2017 to CC2018 and discovered - and correct me if I'm wrong on this:

1. Without warning Adobe decided to remove it's Dolby codec from any future upgrades? Seriously?
  2. So anyone working with certain .mts files had to scramble to find a fix?
  3. And that fix entails either upgrading yer OS or dialing back to CC2017?

It just boggles my mind. I wonder how many human hours were wasted across the globe on this.

Is it possible on MacOS if you haven't upgraded to High Sierra to copy and paste the older framework into the new CC2018?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This situation was a result of a legal scramble between Dolby Laboratories (owner of the ac3 audio) and Adobe. NOT something just done by some Adobe staffer being thoughtless. The lack of public comment clearly was ordered by the "Legal" guys in dark suits & red ties that have no sense of humor.

But it isn't an Adobe choice ... it was something that came from Dolby it would seem, including apparently an order to remove all ac3 code ... period, and ... NOW. Neither company has any staffers commenting on it. A particularly nasty legal bug, it would seem. I've never seen staff so completely absolutely tight-lipped on something, both at MAX and at NAB.

And you're right, it's been a huge pain for anyone using ac3 audio material. So you have to figure a workaround that gets a ton of stuff transcoded or audio conversions/re-linking quickly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow and just... wow. Of all the Adobe update snafus since I started working with Premiere 4.1 - I can't remember a time when they just shut a feature down that is so integral to this kind of workflow. Not as bad as the Final Cut debacle of yesteryear - but still pretty crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup., stay with earlier version for now. I had to upgrade for client's so I got stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines