2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2007 7:43 PM by AndyWW

Is FDS purchase required for RemoteObject?

AndyWW
      The Language Reference indicates at the top of some class descriptions that Flex Data Services is required in order to use that class. However, I have installed Flex without FDS, and I am using some of these classes (notably, RemoteObject) without a problem. Of course, I cannot use the FDS services that require installation of the FDS package; but it seems that I am able to use RemoteObject (and other classes marked as "Adobe® Flex™ Data Services 2 only") even though I have not installed FDS. Does anyone know whether I am going to run into problems down the road? Is it legal for me to use these classes?

Many thanks for any input on this! Of course, I would especially like to hear something official from Adobe!

Andy
        • 1. Re: Is FDS purchase required for RemoteObject?
          peterent Level 2
          It really isn't a licensing issue as much as a technical issue. It is possible to use RemoteObject without FDS or LCDS or ColdFusion. As long as you connect to something that has a compatible AMF protocol you can use RemoteObject. However, that's not to say we won't rearrange some SWCs and put server-related classes into SWCs only available when purchasing a Data Services package.

You can certainly use HTTPService and WebService without any of our server-side products.
          • 2. Re: Is FDS purchase required for RemoteObject?
            AndyWW Level 1
            Thank you, Peter, for answering my question! Your presence in these forums is appreciated greatly.

I am not using the server-side FDS, LCDS, or ColdFusion, and the AMF socket appears to work without a problem with Tomcat. Unfortunately, the possibility that Adobe might choose to make the SWCs for client-side classes unavailable at some future date compels me to look for other solutions. I really like the ability to send serialized POJOs from the server to the client. I will look at HTTPService and WebService next, and only if they are lacking will I look into using a Socket (but there are, of course, problems with traversing the network if I want to provide "public" access).

Thanks again!

Andy