5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2008 3:29 PM by Arty13

TileList DataProvider Help!

Arty13 Level 1
      I have an array collection and within that collection I have objects. Each of those objects has 2 arrays in it (along with other properties)
      When I have an object selected I want the TileList to display the 2 arrays as its data provider.
      I want to handle this the same way the Tree does with it's DataDescriptor, but I do not know how to do this with the TileList, any ideas?

Thanks,

Art
        • 1. Re: TileList DataProvider Help!
          ntsiii Level 3
          I do not know what you mean by, "...the same way the Tree does with it's DataDescriptor..."

Can you tell us what you want?

Tracy
          • 2. Re: TileList DataProvider Help!
            Arty13 Level 1
            The data descriptor for the tree tells how to handle the data for the tree. So if you have a custom data object, the data descriptor is telling how to handle the custom data object in the tree display.

I want to do the same thing for the TileList.

Is this more clear?
            • 3. Re: TileList DataProvider Help!
              Arty13 Level 1
              Any thoughts Tracy?
              • 4. Re: TileList DataProvider Help!
                ntsiii Level 3
                But Tree is a very complex hierarchical component with branches, leaves, disclosure icons, etc.

TileList is just a list. You handle custom data objects using a custom itemRenderer.

Tracy
                • 5. Re: TileList DataProvider Help!
                  Arty13 Level 1
                  Tracy,

I want to use the same dataprovider for my TileList and my Tree. So the data provider is in a hierarchial structure. I want to point at a given "node" in the dataprovider and the TileList will display its contents. Since I have a custom hierarchial data structure, each "node" has two different child nodes (which are arrays). So the TileList will need to take those two arrays and display its contents in the list.

The reason I want to do this is because if I remove a child in the TileList I dont want to manage a seperate dataprovider for the tree. Also in my environment I will have multiple instances of each the tree and TileList. I will be using data binding so that I dont have to manage each and every different set of Tree and TileList.

If you can point me in the right direction to use a custom ItemRenderer to display my data the way I want, please let me know.

Here is some example dataprovider...

-------Example Code---------

myDataProvider =
                  <node1>
                  <data/>
                  <data2/>
                  <children1>
                  <node1>
                  <data/>
                  <data2/>
                  <children1>
                  <node1>
                  <data/>
                  <data2/>
                  <children1></children1>
                  <children2></children2>
                  </node1>
                  <node1>
                  <data/>
                  <data2/>
                  <children1></children1>
                  <children2>
                  <node2/>
                  </children2>
                  </node1>
                  </children1>
                  <children2>
                  <node2/>
                  <node2/>
                  <node2/>
                  </children2>
                  </node1>
                  <node1>
                  <data/>
                  <data2/>
                  <children1></children1>
                  <children2>
                  <node2/>
                  </children2>
                  </node1>
                  </children1>
                  <children2></children2>
                  </node1>

---------------------End of Code-----------

So above is an example of my data structrue, so I want to pass node1 to the TileList and the TileList will display children1 and children2 in it's list - with keeping an handle back to the dataprovider so I dont have to manage seperate lists.

Hope this helps clear what I am trying to do, and thanks for your help so far!

Art