• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I stop overlapping textboxs when I add new line on Adobe Acrobat?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit my PDF book with Adobe Acrobat. When I add the new line to the textbox, my current textbox is overlapping with next textbox instead of making the next textbox shifting down. Here is an example that explains my situation:

2019-03-21_20-11.png

How can I fix that?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

My current workaround is increasing the sizes of pages. Increasing the size of pages from Tools>Set Page Boxes seems useful workaround for me. This allows me to shift the text boxes of the page down. So I can add my text easily.

Screencast 2019-03-25 17:31:02 - Streamable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the original document and create a new PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "original document". Is it the document that book is created and converted to the PDF format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These "boxes" are Acrobat's way of trying to organize text. In a PDF file, you do not have a concept of paragraphs or headers or any other organizational mechanism our brain uses to make sense of set of a page. Sometimes Acrobat gets it wrong, and then unfortunately, there is nothing (or not much, see below) you can do about that. In general, if your document was created using Adobe Acrobat from e.g. an office application, these boxes behave more the way we would expect them. If you are using a PDF generator that makes it harder for Acrobat to organize text, then you end up with a lot of head scratching.

As Bernd suggested, the best way to edit a PDF file is always to not have to edit it at all: Make all your edits in the original application and then create a new PDF file. If that is not possible, sometimes you end up with better results if you try to export the PDF file as a Word document and then edit in Word. Another option might be to completely remove the section in question from your PDF file and copy and paste formatted text from a Word document into your PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. But when I try to export.pdf files to word, a lot of data loss and font loss occur which affects my quality of the document. Any other PDF editing advice will be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the first version of your book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the creator of this book. This is the textbox(created by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie) that I use as a reference about the c programming language. I need to edit it on adobe acrobat because converting other text editing formats(for example

microsoft word) cause a lot of data to lose. All I need is shifting the textboxes of the book little bit down so I can add something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to change how the application identifies those boxes. PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way, not to mention all kinds of legal issues related to editing someone else's work... Use comments, instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My current workaround is increasing the sizes of pages. Increasing the size of pages from Tools>Set Page Boxes seems useful workaround for me. This allows me to shift the text boxes of the page down. So I can add my text easily.

Screencast 2019-03-25 17:31:02 - Streamable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines