• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to export pdf file

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have some problems when I try to export my assembly-instruction   PDF book.

While program's working it crashes and appears: 'Unable to export pdf file'  with no-sense.

It crashes when I try export PDF file (50-60 pages) or with many photos. Why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

We can assume there is one or more guilty corrupted elements (placed PDF, AI, JPG or whatever) somewhere.

So, when this happens to me, I always start by using the "narrowing technique":

If you have a 60 pages document, start by exporting 1-30 pages then 31-60.

If 1-30 exports fine but 31-60 throws an error, try 31-45 then 46-60.

And so on, until you find the guilty page.

Then, again, delete half of the elements, then export until you find the guilty one.

At this stage, see how you can fix it: recreat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Does is crash with all documents or just this one?

Are the images embedded or linked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 PRO   

It crashes sometimes, I ca'nt understand why.

I prepare PDF file (with text, photos) and I put them in InDesign (the last 2019)  then, when I try to create my  book  it crashes.

I notice that it is unable to export pdf file in the same page everytime. (for exemple, in one book it stopped near the end (49/50) in an another book it stopped in the 17th page of 40) and everytime I retry to export my PDF book it crashes in the same page.

I tried to lower the quality of my file imported in InDesign but it doesn't change..

The images are embedded!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you placing PDFs in InDesign – you can of course, but why not start by creating your documents in InDesign?

It's best not to embed images, especially if you have lots of them, as it makes the document bloated.

You use the term "book" are you using the InDesign Book feature to create your new document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't start creating my document in InDesign because I generate PDF from a 3D  CAD program.

I do assembly instruction in SolidEdge, so I put PDF in InDesign. Then, I export my file that I call 'book' with numbered-pages and PDF in the order I want.

The images are embed in solidedge, not in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the SolidEdge PDFs you are creating are not compatible with InDesign. I think you need to do some experimenting. I suggest you create a couple of simple documents and in one Place your SolidEdge PDF and in the other Place a traditional PDF and see if you can export both of them as PDF/X-4 successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can assume there is one or more guilty corrupted elements (placed PDF, AI, JPG or whatever) somewhere.

So, when this happens to me, I always start by using the "narrowing technique":

If you have a 60 pages document, start by exporting 1-30 pages then 31-60.

If 1-30 exports fine but 31-60 throws an error, try 31-45 then 46-60.

And so on, until you find the guilty page.

Then, again, delete half of the elements, then export until you find the guilty one.

At this stage, see how you can fix it: recreate it, resave it (mind special characters in file name),  ask for a new one if sent by a customer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was an error on a single page, I tried to export my file 10/15 pages for each time   untill I found the mistake.

I've reworked the PDF and now it is ok.

Don't know why, I've worked with so much more heavy and elaborate PDF.

Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi francescolezza ,

if you still have that buggy PDF around write a bug report at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Provide the PDF and the InDesign document where you placed the PDF.

Plus a screenshot of the error message. Also a crash report if a crash happened.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines