• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there RGB readouts when shooting tethered in Lightroom?

Participant ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a histogram but can't find any RGB readouts, is it possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

You can get RGB readout numbers from the Targeted Adjustment tools in the Develop module

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get RGB readout numbers from the Targeted Adjustment tools in the Develop module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numerical values shown under the histogram (and indeed the histogram itself) are derived from the image as rendered in a unique-to-LR hybrid color space (called Melissa RGB) which is wide gamut having the ProPhoto RGB primaries but with the sRGB Tonal Response Curve. In order to avoid confusion with the standard ICC output spaces, the values are shown as percentages of the 0-255 8 bit scale.

You can see hard values by switching the read-out to L*ab or by turning on Soft Proofing and targeting a standard RGB working space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am talking tethered, I want to check for exposure without stopping tethered shooting, understood that it's 16 bit.  I'd be fine with percents or Lab readouts, just a definitive reading.  I don't see any readouts in tethered shooting.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mal25  wrote

I am talking tethered, I want to check for exposure without stopping tethered shooting, understood that it's 16 bit.  I'd be fine with percents or Lab readouts, just a definitive reading.  I don't see any readouts in tethered shooting.

Thanks

You cannot check for exposure in LR when the capture is raw. The Histogram and RGB values do not represent the raw data. Wish it did. You'll need to examine a true, raw Histogram using a product like RawDigger. The RGB values and Histogram in LR are the rendered data, based on whatever settings are invoked at any time, NOT the actual exposure of the raw.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I cannot reply someone closed the conversation by marking it

Answered. My point is you can't shoot tethered without checking quality

in a second program. It misses the point of shooting tethered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mal25  wrote

My point is you can't shoot tethered without checking quality

in a second program. It misses the point of shooting tethered.

Once you establish ideal metering (compensation) for the raw, you don't need that 2nd program (application). All explained below:

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/blog/spot-meter-exposure

https://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/exposure-for-raw-or-for-jpegs

http://digitaldog.net/files/ExposeForRaw.pdf 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines