3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2008 10:57 AM by Dave@att

Strange disappearing component problem

karma-lab
      Using Flash CS3 - I have a .fla file that was created in an earlier version that I imported and saved. It has several components in it (CombBox, ListArea, TextArea). It compiles and runs fine.

However, the moment I drag a new instance of a component to the stage and run the movie, all components in the movie disappear or become tiny white squares. As long as I don't do this, the components that are already in the file work fine. But adding a new one totally whacks them all out.

I have no idea what to do about this...

I do have "import mx.managers.DepthManager;" in the first frame.

The publish settings are Flash Player 7, AS 2.0. I tried other variations, this didn't seem to change it. I'd like to keep this compatibility anyway....

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Strange disappearing component problem
          rlc5611 Level 1
          So are you trying to use a CS3 component and publish it as AS2?

I don't really use components any more but I had this problem in a previous Flash upgrade. I don't believe you can mix component versions. The CS3 component you are adding probably shares many or most of the names of the building blocks that the AS2 components do. So the CS3 component is converting your old components' individual elements to AS3 which cannot work when you publish for AS2.

I remember I had to do a significant amount of work replacing components when upgrading to AS2. This is mainly why I stopped using components.

This problem also occurred when a movie published for a lower version tried to load a movie published at a higher version. The _level0 movie dictates what everything else will be regardless of what version the imported SWF was published under.
          • 2. Re: Strange disappearing component problem
            karma-lab Level 1
            I see - yes, that was the problem. If I drag the component from my Library (which is the Flash 8 component), then it works. If I drag a component from the components window (CS3 components), it trashes my Flash 8 components in the file (AS 2.0).

Do you know if there is a way to have the full list of Flash 8 components available in Flash CS3?
            • 3. Re: Strange disappearing component problem
              Dave@att
              Yes, you can get your flash 8 components back copy them from C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Components to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Components

Be sure to rename the folders before you copy. I put Fl_8_ at the beginning so I can see which is which when I look at the component list. Restart Flash, and they will be in your folder.