3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 10:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director file trashing

KnarfEK
      "Not enough memory to save this file"

I've been getting this error every few days for a while now. Director MX2004 on PC/Win XP Pro SP2, Intel Xeon CPU. 2.66 GHz, 3GB RAM

Once I get it that file is useless and I need to go back an iteration.
      (Fortunately I keep MANY iterations, having had Director problems in the past)

Sometimes it happens after something as simple as commenting out a line of lingo script.
      Sometimes I'm unable to reopen the file (I get the "Fatal Error' box and Director closes), other times I can open it but not resave it or 'publish'.
      Restarting the system and opening ONLY that file makes no difference.

The file it's happening with now is small, under 2 MB. Few casts, though all image, swf and video casts are linked casts.

Just wanted to see if anyone else ever has this problem.
        • 1. Re: Director file trashing
          Level 7
          Have you tried opening the same file on another pc with the same result? If
          so, then it's definitely the file as opposed to possibly a hard drive error.
          You could have a particular castmember that is corrupted. In which case you
          can either look for one that has a weird file size, or start deleting half
          you cast members at a time and narrow down which one it is. Another thing to
          try is copy all your sprites into a fresh score. And one more thing is you
          could have a corrupt xtra, if you've added any recently, you might try
          pulling them out and see if it still happens. Anyway, just a few things here
          to consider.

Good luck
          Timm

• 2. Re: Director file trashing
            KnarfEK Level 1
            One possible cause seems to be having an external castLib with program imported linked files which is not directly saved when closing that Director movie.

That is, by closing and saving the Director movie itself but not going to that specific cast library and saving that by itself each time. Since I have been doing that I have avoided the fatal error.

Seems extenal casts prefer being saved directly rather than as you would assume they are saved, along with everything else on a 'Save'.
            • 3. Re: Director file trashing
              Level 7
              That's good to know, thanks for posting.

Richard
              www.funpods.com

"KnarfEK" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fs8eck$ms8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > One possible cause seems to be having an external castLib with program
              > imported
              > linked files which is not directly saved when closing that Director movie.
              >
              > That is, by closing and saving the Director movie itself but not going to
              > that
              > specific cast library and saving that by itself each time. Since I have
              > been
              > doing that I have avoided the fatal error.
              >
              > Seems extenal casts prefer being saved directly rather than as you would
              > assume they are saved, along with everything else on a 'Save'.
              >