26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2009 8:56 AM by superquinn

"Something went wrong trying to install ...."

fozzie Level 1
      Hi all,

A few days ago i made my first AIR app. Nothing special, just a test.
      I sent it to a friend to test but he could not run the thing, the AIR runtime was missing. So i made a download page with the 'badge" installer from the SDK and even an other "badge" installer I found on the net.

Now what's the problem.
      On my friends pc it installs the AIR Runtime but that's all.
      When trying again it return's an error: " Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe Air from http://www.adobe.com/go/getair and try again."
      I'm getting the same error.
      On other sites, links from the Adobe site ( http://desktop.ebay.com/install.html or http://www.agileagenda.com/download/, idem dito!

What's happening?
      What's wrong?
        • 1. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          This error message can occur in several different situations. As a developer, you can access the installer logs to get a better description of what the problem is. See http://blogs.adobe.com/simplicity/2007/10/air_installer_logging.html for information on enabling logging.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 2. "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
            fozzie Level 1
            I've deleted the AIR Runtime.
            Followed the above e-bay link and could install the AIR Runtime and the AIR app. YoeHoe, problem solved... Nopes, trying to install another .air app I got the same error.
            Now i'm even getting the same error when double-clicking an .air file in explorer.
            Weird...
            You'r sure AIR is out of beta?
            Should I wait a year or so to make .air app for our users?
            • 3. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
              fozzie Level 1
              Oliver,

I created the files you posted on your blog.

I tried serveral installs, (with different .air apps) each time i got the same error, "Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe Air from...."
              The content in the either file remains the same, "ECHO is on (aan)."

Now what?
              • 4. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                Please double-check the name and location of the log files you created. The installer won't display this message without having written to the log.

• 5. "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                  fozzie Level 1
                  I created .airappinstall.log and .airinstall.log in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Fons".
                  There are other folders such as "Documents" - "Vista Themes" or files like "SEPY1_WORKSPACE.ini".
                  All viewed and created in de "opdrachtprompt" (command prompt !?) with DOS commands.

In Vista Explorer the folder is named "Computer - Het Eiland Pen (C:) - Gebruikers - Fons" but the files and folders are the same.

When I created them I tryed to install several Air Apps, from webpages with different badge installers and localy by double-clicking.
                  Every time the same error appears.

The latest Air Runtime is installed, 2 Air apps are installed and working and thats all!

• 6. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                    OK, let me back up and ask a few questions:
                    - Is this happening on multiple machines, or just one?
                    - Did you delete AIR on those machines or uninstall it?
                    - What happens with badge install vs. downloading the air files directly?

thanks,

• 7. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                      fozzie Level 1
                      Let start from the beginning. (sorry for my broken english, it's not my native language)
                      First, many months ago, I installed Kuler app. beta 2/3 (?).
                      Like everybody I geuss.
                      But I didn't try to make an Air app myself because it was mainly Flex. I'm a web developer using Flash.

A few weeks ago I saw Adobe Air was out of beta and there was an update to use Flash to make Air apps.
                      Working on a big project for a client it might be a possibility to use Air for some things so I installed it the way it was described.

I made a very unusefull (!) login example just to show to our client.
                      While making it everything went well, localy. Publishing the project (single .fla !), then double clicking the .air to install it.

So I mailed the .air file to a friend to test it on his machine.
                      His pc did not recognize the file type so he had to install the Air Runtime. Making it easy for him and eventually the client I created a first badge installer from the downloaded SDK.

That wasn't working, he couldn't install anything.

Then the trouble on my side started!
                      I uninstalled the Air Runtime.
                      Double clicked the .air to see the runtime was uninstalled, to double check.
                      Went to the web page I created and tried to install it. Didn't do a thing.
                      Went to an example (e-bay - firetune - Kuler) on the Adobe site. They installed.
                      I remembered a thing from the past when another file type didn't work on the server, .flv.
                      So they installed the mime-type.

In the mean while I did install the Air runtime again to test localy. !! double clicking an .air file wasn't working anymore !!
                      After the mime-type was set the .air file on the server was able to be downloaded.
                      The badge installer worked. Once!
                      When I click the same badge or another one or a local .air file i get the same error.
                      Unistalling the air app and trying to install it again does not work.

answers too your questions:
                      - that i don't know for sure.
                      - uninstall
                      - badge results in error, direct download can be done and saved local but not installed by double clicking.

My system is a Core 2 Quad - 3 gig ram - Vista and is 3 months old.

• 8. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                        This is going to be difficult to sort out without logging. We're looking into whether or not there's a problem with the logging feature on a non-English OS. Can you confirm which locale/language you are using?

In the meantime, I recommend:

1) Try to install something else on your machine and see if it works. Sometimes Windows Installer is the root cause of the problem; if that's the case, attempting another install will also fail.

2) Assuming that works, I'd like to have you uninstall AIR, install 1.0 directly (not from the badge), and then try installing an app from an .air file and see what happens. If you get error dialogs, could you send screenshots?

thanks,

• 9. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                          fozzie Level 1
                          I suppose it is!

I'm using Vista, Dutch version.

1) installing other progs? no problem.
                          2) I unstalled The Air Runtime for the x'th time, restarted the pc, downloaded a new one at http://get.adobe.com/air/ (this is another link than suggested in the error!! ) and installed it. VER 1.0 !!.
                          Someone on another forum is talking of VER 1.0.6 !!

Still no solution.
                          When i double-click "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR Application Installer.exe" it opens a "Select an Installation Package" window. From there i can select an .air file and install it.
                          If i double-click an .air file the result is the error.
                          Installing from badge results in the error.

Uninstalling Air runtime (again) and then installing from badge is possible but only once!

I'm getting a bit crazy, i can tell you that.

Where can I send some "error" screenshots?
                          • 11. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                            fozzie Level 1
                            Another step. (might be of any help for Adobe engineers)

In the folder "Common Files/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0" are, amongst other, 2 files named "Adobe AIR Application Installer" and "airappinstaller".

When d-clicking "Adobe AIR Application Installer" a file selection window opens. With that it is possible to select an .air file and run/install it.
                            D-clicking the other one, "airappinstaller", a window opens showing the error. ("Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe Air from....")

Now what I did is renaming them both and gave them the name of the other one. So "airappinstaller" got the name "Adobe AIR Application Installer" and vice versa.

What is happening now?
                            When d-clicking an .air file it is being installed. YoeHoe
                            Installing by badge is working fine, for so far.

I don't know if it's a proper solution but it seem to do the thing.
                            • 12. "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                              fozzie Level 1
                              Oliver?
                              The big silence?
                              • 13. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                get_nimmo Level 1
                                I'm having exactly the same issue with my AIR install, and am now past caring. Uninstall and forget about it until it's reliable.
                                • 14. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                  Hi fozzie,

Been out of the office.

It sounds like their is a problem on your machine related to the association of the .air file extension to the installed AIR runtime. The first time you do a badge install the file extension registration doesn't matter, but on subsequent installs it's used to find the installed runtime--which matches the problems you are seeing.

Let's check the following registry keys:
                                  HKLM\Software\Classes\.air
                                  HKLM\Software\Classes\AIR.InstallPackage
                                  HKCU\Software\Classes\.air
                                  HKCU\Software\Classes\AIR.InstallPackage

I have a feeling some of these keys are missing, or pointing to a version of AIR that doesn't exist, or something along those lines.

One way to get this fixed would be:
                                  - Uninstall AIR
                                  - Delete all of the above registry keys (if present)
                                  - Re-install

BTW, Version 1.0.6 was the Beta 3 release. 1.0 is the actual GM release.

• 15. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                    fozzie Level 1
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: get_nimmo
                                    I'm having exactly the same issue with my AIR install, and am now past caring. Uninstall and forget about it until it's reliable.

I think so too. In the meanwhile I will keep on using MDMZinc.
                                    I don't think our clients will be satisfied when I give this solution.
                                    But thanks anyway Oliver.
                                    • 16. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                      I appreciate your point of view. That said, this particular problem is extraordinarily rare and didn't arise during extensive beta testing. Since we're not able to reproduce it, unless you two can help us solve the problems on your machines, it isn't clear how we'll be able to fix this issue.

BTW, did either of you have the Alpha or Beta 1 releases installed on these machines?

thanks again,

• 17. "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                        fozzie Level 1
                                        My machine is 3 months in use.
                                        I didn' install Air Runtime Beta as is, the only air app I installed (in january) was Kuler, probably a beta (2?) version, to show (!) a client the possibilty's off Air by the way !!

I repeat, the first time i installed everything to use air with Flash CS3 was when the final (version 1.0) release came out. A few weeks ago.
                                        Then it worked fine!
                                        The trouble begun when a friend of mine could NOT install a very simple ( hello world) air app i did send him, not via badge not localy.
                                        That's when I uninstalled (not deleted!) the runtime on my machine to see what he was explaining to me (by phone) and the trouble begun.
                                        Btw. he still can't install Air apps.

Maybe it's a local problem (on my new Core 2 Quad - 3gig - Dutch Vista version system ) but i'm sure there are, will be, others.
                                        Then I don't think it will be a wise solution to begin developing for third party's.
                                        So no offence, i'll stick to MDMZinc for a while (to develop for clients). When Air 2.0 comes out we'll see again.
                                        So don't worry about me ;)

p.s.
                                        A few posts back i gave a solution that seems to work for me! Switching the names of the two air app installers in the folder "common/files"
                                        What about the link a gave? The .air file extension does not register on Windows Vista
                                        • 18. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                          get_nimmo Level 1
                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Oliver Goldman
                                          Hi fozzie,

Been out of the office.

It sounds like their is a problem on your machine related to the association of the .air file extension to the installed AIR runtime. The first time you do a badge install the file extension registration doesn't matter, but on subsequent installs it's used to find the installed runtime--which matches the problems you are seeing.

Let's check the following registry keys:
                                          HKLM\Software\Classes\.air
                                          HKLM\Software\Classes\AIR.InstallPackage
                                          HKCU\Software\Classes\.air
                                          HKCU\Software\Classes\AIR.InstallPackage

I have a feeling some of these keys are missing, or pointing to a version of AIR that doesn't exist, or something along those lines.

One way to get this fixed would be:
                                          - Uninstall AIR
                                          - Delete all of the above registry keys (if present)
                                          - Re-install

BTW, Version 1.0.6 was the Beta 3 release. 1.0 is the actual GM release.

Hey Oliver,

Have tried that suggestion, reinstalled and found that HKCU\Software\Classes\.air and HKCU\Software\Classes\AIR.InstallPackage are both missing. The other 2 are there. Previously had beta versions installed. Is there any way round this you can think of?
                                          • 19. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                            get_nimmo,

Thanks for trying that out. The HKCU entries should not be present, so that's all good. I take it double-clicking on .air files is still not working despite the HKLM entries being present?

What happens if you right-click on an AIR file and select "Open with"? Is AIR listed as an option? If so, does it work?

regards,

• 20. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                              get_nimmo Level 1
                                              Hi Oliver,

No, neither double-clicking or 'open with' work. Still can't download air app's, although did at least manage to save the finetune app to my pc - downloaded from outwith adobe site.
                                              • 21. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                get_nimmo,

Could you please send me:
                                                1) The values of the keys under the HKLM registry locations mentioned earlier, and
                                                2) The output of running "dir /x" in the "Adobe AIR/Versions" directory on your machine.

Step (2) should be done from a command shell (DOS prompt).

thanks again,

• 22. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                  C-Rock Level 2
                                                  I'm having the same problem on Vista 64 bit. You cannot download the .air file anymore since adobe made this download in the browser in flash. So now when I click on an air file from exchange to install I keep getting the same error these guys are getting...

What's the fix? I can't get the .air file on my computer to even try some of these fixes...
                                                  • 23. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                    Gamm System Level 1

Oliver this is not  particular problem and not extraordinarily rare... i have same problem, vista 64, italian, unable to install AIR application... everytime same message... Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe AIR from http://www.adobe.com/go/getair and then try again. (but italian...)

Thanks!

• 24. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                      superquinn Level 1

I am having the same problem on my laptop and if you look on the BBC iplayer forum so have a lot of other people so I wonder what your definition of rare is?  It certainly isn't on the endangered  list! I cannot install any air apps without this pop up appearing (BBC iplayer and tweetdeck to name a couple) and search of google and this forum has produced no answers so where next?

• 25. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                        Gamm System Level 1

On my PC the only working solution for AIR apllications installation is this annoying procedure... everytime:

• uninstalling the previous adobe AIR software
                                                        • installing the AIR application with automatic required installation of the Adobe AIR software
                                                        • 26. Re: "Something went wrong trying to install ...."
                                                          superquinn Level 1
                                                          OK Fixed my problem by running the The SubInACL tool (see the following link)

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

Fixed AIR by accident trying to fix an issue with my jpgs and google found this blog. Ran it and fixed issue with jpg association and AIR files. Now got Tweetdeck and BBC IPlayer running Happy bunny