7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 2:03 PM by Style Council

HTML secondary window equivalent?

Style Council Level 1
      I realize that secondary windows are in WinHelp, but is there a way of making one in HTML? For instance, if you don't want a link to open as a pop-up or open replacing the existing topic, is there a way to have the linked topic open in a browser that is situated to the left of the main help window?

Finally, am I dreaming or did RH take out the ability to drag and drop topics to create links?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Style Council

Secondary windows still exist in the world of HTML help. But they are a PITA to get implemented so they work. I think as a result, many have given up on them.

Drag and drop to create links is still as good as it ever was! Where are you seeing it is failing?

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
            Style Council Level 1
            Thanks for verifying that it can be done. I've been trying to find info on creating secondary windows on the internet. I really don't think it will come up a whole lot (not like it did in WinHelp), but I'd like to know how. I like RH's DHTML and pop-ups, though, and will use those more. I found some instructions that say to use the Insert HTML HELP Control button, but I tried and it didn't do anything different. I'll give it a try again. I've always used RH, but I was asked to compare a few HAT. I hope I will be able to use RH again despite it being more expensive than some competitors.

I'm using a 30-day trial of Rohohelp 7.0 Perhaps there is a limitation that way. I can make links, but not by dragging and dropping from the topics list on the left into the topic itself. Thanks for the help, Rick.

Kevin
            • 3. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
              Hi Kevin

If you are interested in trying to make the Secondary Window work, you probably would benefit from a copy of my HTML Help Tips file. You may download it from this link. Inside (among a plethora of other things) I believe I've outlined the basic steps for making the Secondary Windows work.

Hope this helps a smidge... Rick :)
              • 4. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
                Style Council Level 1
                Rick,

Thanks very much for the help file, Rick. I think it's going to be a big help - no pun intended.

One thing I do notice in my project, though, is that on my Display Options form - Display topic in: section, under Frame, I have Default(none), New Window, same Frame, Parent Frame, and Whole Page options. I was expecting to see Secondary window (per step 4 in your Linking to Secondary Windows topic). Back on my Windows Properties (HTML Help) page, I have both Main and Secondary windows to display selected.

I'm obviously doing something wrong in setup, or this new version of RH has some secondary window limitations?

Thanks again.

Kevin

• 5. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
                  Hi Kevin

That topic is waaaay long in the tooth. Note that I'm referring to version 8 and 9. Adobe RoboHelp 7 is logically version 15! If you re-read, you should see that I'm advising you only see the secondary window option if version 8 or older.

Cheers... Rick
                  • 6. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
                    Style Council Level 1
                    Thanks again, Rick. That's what I gathered after re-reading it. Well, your help file should still be a good resource. Thanks again for all of your help.
                    • 7. Re: HTML secondary window equivalent?
                      Style Council Level 1
                      Not sure anyone is familiar with HelpSmith, but in their new 1.4 demo sample, you can create secondary windows for HTML help. They don't have pop-ups, though. So, if secondary windows is available there, it seems like Robohelp can do it. I created a couple quick topics to see how the link would look as far as position on the screen, and it looks fine. It's probably me, but I don't see this ability in Robohelp 7.0. Does anyone know how to contact Adobe and actually talk to someone? Thanks very much.