2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2008 8:51 AM by Newsgroup_User

Preventing Download of .SWF

StanWelks Level 1
      1. Is it the intention of Adobe to not allow average users to have the ability to download .SWF files? I understand there are programs and ways to do this, though what is their intention?
      2. Is there anyway with certainty to prevent users to download them?
      3. What basic precautions can be taken while developing a .FLA and when embeding them into .html can be taken to reduce the chances of them being downloaded?

Thanks!!!!
        • 1. Re: Preventing Download of .SWF
          Level 7
          StanWelks wrote:
          > 1. Is it the intention of Adobe to not allow average users to have the ability
          > to download .SWF files? I understand there are programs and ways to do this,
          > though what is their intention?

For the file to be able to run, it has to be cached on the compute.
          Therefor you can't prevent the download.

> 2. Is there anyway with certainty to prevent users to download them?

No

> 3. What basic precautions can be taken while developing a .FLA and when
          > embeding them into .html can be taken to reduce the chances of them being
          > downloaded?

None

> Thanks!!!!

You welcome

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Preventing Download of .SWF
            Level 7
            On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 08:21:17 +0800, urami_
            <runnerHAHAH@flashfugitive.com> wrote:

>StanWelks wrote:
            >> 1. Is it the intention of Adobe to not allow average users to have the ability
            >> to download .SWF files? I understand there are programs and ways to do this,
            >> though what is their intention?
            >
            >For the file to be able to run, it has to be cached on the compute.
            >Therefor you can't prevent the download.

It's not true. For the SWF file to be able to run, it has to be loaded
            into Flash Player. In theory Flash Player could use its own technique
            to downloading files, particularly into memory, into temporary files,
            which would be removed automatically, etc.

>> 2. Is there anyway with certainty to prevent users to download them?
            >
            >No

No, as long as Flash Player is using current downloading methods.

>> 3. What basic precautions can be taken while developing a .FLA and when
            >> embeding them into .html can be taken to reduce the chances of them being
            >> downloaded?

First of all, please find a time to think about why would you like to
            prevent downloading? Do you show any unique graphics? Then how about
            PrintScreen key? Do you wish to prevent reproduction of your content?
            Then just protect it using server-side scripts, sessions and extensive
            usage of dynamic content. This is the most productive way to go.