4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 5:03 PM by snowshoe@suddenlink.net

div tag - how do you keep text within box

snowshoe@suddenlink.net Level 1
      I have looked at many of the sample documents where the columns, div boxes, etc are layed out for you. Margins and padding are set. However it seems when I type text within the boundry I can just keep typing clear outside the boundries. Shouldn't the text auto-wrap to stay within the box. What good does it do to have the div tag settings if they don't enclose the text for you? What am I missing here.
        • 1. Re: div tag - how do you keep text within box
          Level 7
          Put a space in what you are typing, please. See what happens.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"SnowmanTruckee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkth4q$m1a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have looked at many of the sample documents where the columns, div boxes,
          >etc
          > are layed out for you. Margins and padding are set. However it seems when
          > I
          > type text within the boundry I can just keep typing clear outside the
          > boundries. Shouldn't the text auto-wrap to stay within the box. What good
          > does
          > it do to have the div tag settings if they don't enclose the text for you?
          > What
          > am I missing here.
          >

• 2. Re: div tag - how do you keep text within box
            Level 7
            There could be a dozen reasons why this is happening. A plain div in HTML
            without the right rules or styles applied to it will just keep expanding.

Do you have (preferably) a link to your page or can you post your code here?

Bruce

"SnowmanTruckee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gkth4q$m1a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have looked at many of the sample documents where the columns, div boxes,
            >etc
            > are layed out for you. Margins and padding are set. However it seems when
            > I
            > type text within the boundry I can just keep typing clear outside the
            > boundries. Shouldn't the text auto-wrap to stay within the box. What good
            > does
            > it do to have the div tag settings if they don't enclose the text for you?
            > What
            > am I missing here.
            >

• 3. Re: div tag - how do you keep text within box
              my apologies for taking so long to get back to you after you were kind enough to reply to my request for help. Went to visit my parents, mother broke her hip....long time getting home and squared away enough to get back to this frustrating project. Please note my email address has changed to tomcombs@suddenlink.net I am in the process of dumping EarthLink.

I have attached the one example I am working on. This is page is a good example of what is driving me nuts. I never experienced these kinds of issues with Front Page, but thought I would take the plunge to Dreamweaver... Grrrrrrrr

It displays fine in IE7 but if you preview it in Firefox, the text is all over the place.
              It can be viewd at: http://www.truckeerotary.com/test1.html

• 4. Re: div tag - how do you keep text within box
                my apologies for taking so long to get back to you after you were kind enough to reply to my request for help. Went to visit my parents, mother broke her hip....long time getting home and squared away enough to get back to this frustrating project. Please note my email address has changed to tomcombs@suddenlink.net I am in the process of dumping EarthLink.

I have attached the one example I am working on. This is page is a good example of what is driving me nuts. I never experienced these kinds of issues with Front Page, but thought I would take the plunge to Dreamweaver... Grrrrrrrr

It displays fine in IE7 but if you preview it in Firefox, the text is all over the place.
                It can be viewd at: http://www.truckeerotary.com/test1.html