• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts - irregular treatment

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2008 Apr 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a while since doing web publishing.

I know large is a relative application of sizing.
And that point in theory is absolute.

My print versus online treatment of text varies.

I'm using Times in my headers and Arial in the body. Stylistically it looks great but having a hard time with sizing.
Microsoft's style sheet isn't that great, but it has been recommended by one person to use as a foundation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a good format?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Times font (as are all serif fonts) is more suited to the print world. Online usage tends to favor non-serif fonts, such as Arial for Headings and Verdana for text.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments. I was aware of this.

Because I am using 3 levels in addition to the body, I wanted to have enough variation in font treatment for 4 levels.

The best way I thought to achieve that was to use Times for the headers and Arial for the body.

I am of the opinion that print will soon be mostly Arial as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi K C,

FWIW, I use large, medium, small, and xsmall fonts for my headings, which are in Verdana online and Arial in print. Normal text is also in Verdana online but in Times in print. (I was brought up hearing that big blocks of text are faster to read in print when in a serif font and faster to read online when in sans serif.)

To distinguish the different heading levels, I change the indent (my Normal style is indented in 20 px from h1 and h2 but shares the same indent with h3 and h4). I also use color and bold for the headings, which really sets them off and allows my h4 to use the same xsmall font as Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp