1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2008 7:53 AM by clbeech

About flash, help

konary
      I downloaded a trial version to get to know the software while I WAIT on corporate to buy it but I am having trouble with something as simple as creating a link. I created a button but I can't figure out how to make it link to something. I looked in the help section but all of this action script jargon is CONFUSING! I don't want to have to type in any functions in order for my link to work.

sorry but you will need to do so if you're going to use Flash. so the first thing to decide is: are you going to use ActionScript2 or 3?

in AS2 we use the getURL method - with an 'onPress' handler for you button - however you also need to place your scripts on the timeline - so make a new layer above the 'button' and call it a'ctions' - you will also need to place an 'instance name' on your 'button' -select in on the Stage and in the properties panel enter a name in the box - then we use that name to 'point' to the element when writing scripts. so for a 'linking' button - select the first frame in the 'actions' layer and open the actions panel (F9) and then we'd type:

my_btn.onPress = function() {
          getURL(' http://www.thesite.com', '_self');
          }

where 'my_btn' is the instance name of your button, and obviously the address is where you navigating to.

now using AS3 it's a bit different - but similar rules apply - an actions layer, and instance name but the script in will be written like:

function navTo(event:MouseEvent) {
          var site:URLRequest = new URLRequest(' http://www.thesite.com');
          navigateToURL(site);
          }
          my_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, navTo);

as you can see the two are quite different - however if I were you and you are purchasing CS3 and just beginning your study - I would learn the newest language AS3 - because although it is a bit more complicated it is a far more powerful tool and up-to-date with the latest OOP standards.