4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 10:04 AM by Gaius Coffey

Something is corrupted: Code auto format, Flash CS3

Gaius Coffey Level 2

Not sure if this is the forum to post, but thought someone here would know where and kindly direct me if I'm in the wrong place!

I have had Flash CS3 Pro installed for a while, but am only now using it regularly as AS 3.0 projects were few and far between...

However, now that I am, I am being driven insane by the code autoformat that strips out parentheses and breaks all my code by changing the meaning of code. As far as I can make out, this is specific to my machine - implying something is corrupt. So, I uninstalled all versions of Flash and reinstalled CS3 specifically.

The trouble is, code formatting is still dangerously buggy and now (because I have uninstalled Flash 8) I no longer have code formatting even for AS 2.0!

Has anyone come across this before?

Any ideas how to get past it?

G

PS: As an additional piece of trivia that may be related, Flash player is now not correctly reported so I am getting "Install flash plugins" warnings from a couple of sites even though I have it and it works fine.
        • 1. Re: Something is corrupted: Code auto format, Flash CS3
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          If you don't follow standard coding practices, then the auto formatter can, and will, format your script incorrectly. You can change the way the formatter formats your script by going to preferences-->auto format. Yes, you do have an as2 formatter, because you have Flash CS3. Flash has always been backwards compatible, and still is. Just change your publish settings. As for your flash player issue Report it
          • 2. Re: Something is corrupted: Code auto format, Flash CS3
            Gaius Coffey Level 2
            Hi,

Sorry, but you are not understanding me - I do not have an AS 2.0 formatter because the formatter I have with CS3 breaks code no matter what version of ActionScript I am in - the Flash 8 one didn't.

As for using non-standard coding, here is an example:

/////////////////////////////
            halfWinPositionWidthRelative=visibleImageW / (2 * fullWidth);

Is formatted to:

/////////////////////////////
            halfWinPositionWidthRelative=visibleImageW / 2 * fullWidth;

To give you an idea of why this is so bad:
            var visibleImageW =50;
            var fullWidth = 1500;
            trace(visibleImageW / 2 * fullWidth) // traces 37500
            trace(visibleImageW / (2 * fullWidth)) // traces 0.0166666666666

As another symptom (more an irritant than a problem) all my "new WhateverClassNameIAmUsing();" declarations get formatted to "new WhateverClassNameIAmUsing ;"

This means that I _cannot_ use the auto formatter for any of my work as it _breaks_ my code - resulting in endless loops, random madness and absolute corruption of all the work I have done.

I have compared with another CS3 user and the results are specific to my machine - which is why I want to find out how to fix the corruption on my machine.

Gaius
            • 3. Re: Something is corrupted: Code auto format, Flash CS3
              Damon Edwards Level 3
              I would contact adobe directly
              • 4. Re: Something is corrupted: Code auto format, Flash CS3
                Gaius Coffey Level 2
                Hadn't realised I could until now - although having created an error report, there is an ominous note about "verifying my support policy" that could be an issue.