10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 6:05 PM by Devant

Working with Arabic text

Devant
      It appears that the support for RTL (Right to Left) languages is rather mysterious. Does D11 support exist?

Copying selected text sort of reverses the order of the characters, and transposing in Lingo to a new text member doesn't look right.

In English and French I can Lingo character by character and line by line.

Support for foreign language fonts was anticipated with this latest D11 release.

It's all backwards and scribbles ... (like my first impression of Arabic when I was in the Middle East).

Is there a way to resolve this so I can display aprabic text and manipulate it with Lingo?

Simple enough to transpose the order of characters with a handler but it doesn't become like the original.

Is there an Arabic language Xtra? Is there a work-around?

/Rob
        • 1. Re: Working with Arabic text
          Durrell Bishop
          Hi Rob

We are having exactly the same problem. If you get any answers we would be very grateful if you share it and vica versa.

regards,
          Durrell
          • 2. Re: Working with Arabic text
            Level 7
            I'm pretty sure that Right to Left languages are not supported at this
            time in Director at all, and apart from using graphics instead of text,
            I don't know of a workaround.
            • 3. Re: Working with Arabic text
              Level 7
              > Is there an Arabic language Xtra?
              http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtextmem.rar

The above is a link to a movie that demonstrates the use of a text member
              that supports all standard windows text functions (unicode text, embedding
              images, drag/drop, mousewheel etc), and works with director v8.5 or newer.
              The text member is part of a multi-purpose xtra. The text member's
              development had been put on hold, in favor of other parts of the
              xtra -networking mostly- when dir11 was announced. However, since it does
              include lots of features that were not included in dir11, it's development
              has been resumed. Btw, since the goal is to create the ideal text box, any
              suggestions/thoughts would be welcome.

Note that the movie was originally created using a much older version of the
              xtra, so certain functions may not work with the last (included) version.

"Devant" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fv8ei9$n2p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > It appears that the support for RTL (Right to Left) languages is rather
              > mysterious. Does D11 support exist?
              >
              > Copying selected text sort of reverses the order of the characters, and
              > transposing in Lingo to a new text member doesn't look right.
              >
              > In English and French I can Lingo character by character and line by line.
              >
              > Support for foreign language fonts was anticipated with this latest D11
              > release.
              >
              > It's all backwards and scribbles ... (like my first impression of Arabic
              > when
              > I was in the Middle East).
              >
              > Is there a way to resolve this so I can display aprabic text and
              > manipulate it
              > with Lingo?
              >
              > Simple enough to transpose the order of characters with a handler but it
              > doesn't become like the original.
              >
              > Is there an Arabic language Xtra? Is there a work-around?
              >
              > /Rob
              >

• 4. Re: Working with Arabic text
                Devant Level 1
                Thank you Alchemist,

I am unfamiliar with the "rar" file type.

I have downloaded the file: http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtextmem.rar ...

What steps to follow?

I have imported some lines of Arabic text and broken ut up into sequential cast members. I'm right alligning and about to test the Lingo. (Lingo syntax appears to have changed, but it's probably just me being rusty.)

BTW.
                I'm finding the script window is misbehaving. The cursor/text entry point seems to shift arbitrarily and the text input isn't where I click. Very strange behavior. When I click to position the cursor and then type the type does not appear where I expect it to.

(I have Edit-Preferences-Script ...changed the font size and font style...) Changing it further does not fix. The text insertion point seems to be five characters to the left of where I'd expect it. This is something new. I might install D11 on another computer to see if there is a difference, but I'd rather not.

/Rob

• 5. Re: Working with Arabic text
                  Devant Level 1
                  Importing Arabic text, seems to produce the same undesireable re-arrangement as cutting and pasting. I think this is a Windows thing. Perhaps if I were using a Mac I could work with Arabic text?

If I were certain of the logic of the transposition I could write Lingo to correct it.

It appears (after importing or cutting and pasting) as if every letter in every Arabic word is re-arranged, and the order of the Arabic words in the sentences are apparently reversed.

This is making it difficult for me to change the world.

/Rob
                  • 6. Re: Working with Arabic text
                    Level 7
                    > I am unfamiliar with the "rar" file type.
                    http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtextmem.zip

you are not trying this on a mac, I hope..

"Devant" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fvaiia$4ed$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thank you Alchemist,
                    >
                    > I am unfamiliar with the "rar" file type.
                    >
                    > I have downloaded the file: http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtextmem.rar ...
                    >
                    > What steps to follow?
                    >
                    > I have imported some lines of Arabic text and broken ut up into sequential
                    > cast members. I'm right alligning and about to test the Lingo. (Lingo
                    > syntax
                    > appears to have changed, but it's probably just me being rusty.)
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > BTW.
                    > I'm finding the script window is misbehaving. The cursor/text entry point
                    > seems to shift arbitrarily and the text input isn't where I click. Very
                    > strange behavior. When I click to position the cursor and then type the
                    > type
                    > does not appear where I expect it to.
                    >
                    > (I have Edit-Preferences-Script ...changed the font size and font
                    > style...)
                    > Changing it further does not fix. The text insertion point seems to be
                    > five
                    > characters to the left of where I'd expect it. This is something new. I
                    > might install D11 on another computer to see if there is a difference, but
                    > I'd
                    > rather not.
                    >
                    > /Rob
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Working with Arabic text
                      Durrell Bishop Level 1
                      Extrema looks very useful.
                      Is there more documentation availible eg properties of the text member, supressing the debug window etc.
                      • 8. Re: Working with Arabic text
                        Level 7
                        What you saw is a pre-release sample movie.
                        Detailed docs will be available with the official release.

"Durrell Bishop" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:fvcgic$806$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Extrema looks very useful.
                        > Is there more documentation availible eg properties of the text member,
                        > supressing the debug window etc.
                        >

• 9. Re: Working with Arabic text
                          IbrahimFromAustralia Level 1
                          One good way to work with Arabic text is to save your text as a gif or a jpeg format. It will be easy for the user to see your text the same way you intend it to be. Make sure your gif or jpeg file is small enough. You can use different graphics programs but one good and simple program I am using is spx. You don't have to spend heaps of money of high end programs. I hope this will solve your problem. Salam.
                          • 10. Re: Working with Arabic text
                            Devant Level 1
                            Arabic text is difficult with which to work.