5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 11:18 AM by Captiv8r

Customer can't open system

ChrisBrewster Level 1
      I created a help system and sent a zip to the person who needs it. She can't open the "gateway" file, whatever it's called-- the one that you open which opens the whole system. It works fine for me. I looked at the file properties and there's an elaborate dialog about security, but the dialog has no box to say "no security needed-- permission for everyone". You have to specify each person who is allowed to open it. (Wouldn't work too well on the web.) I've never seen anything like this. Does Robohelp impose this? Any ideas? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Customer can't open system
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Please don't cross post the same question into multiple categories. This question first appeared in the thread Linked Here.

Please direct any replies to where the thread first appeared.
          • 2. Re: Customer can't open system
            Ohhhkay

So reply here I must as my dear man Yoda would say.

Basically, if it's WebHelp, they open the WebHelp start page. That's what the "gateway" is called.

However, it sounds as if your recipient is simply opening the .ZIP and attempting to run it from there. Sorry, but that won't work as everything that page would need is packaged inside the .ZIP. She will have to first unpack it into the related folders and files.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Customer can't open system
              ChrisBrewster Level 1
              That was exactly my theory-- opening it from the zip. She assures me that she unzipped everything in the usual way. Can you think of any other reason for security appearing on this file?

By the way, the cross-post was a mistake. I realized I had put it in the wrong place but didn't see a way to delete, so I tried to "edit" it down to nothing.
              • 4. Re: Customer can't open system
                ChrisBrewster Level 1
                I should add, the security is in *my* copy of the file, having nothing to do with being in a zip file. So I think my customer is correct. Since I'm in a defense company, I was thinking the system might add these things. Possible?
                • 5. Re: Customer can't open system
                  Hi Christopher

I've seen enough trips around the sun to say that literally *anything* is possible!

Consider this though. Perhaps her method of "unzipping" is to simply open the zip package, then drag the files to a folder. Works okay until folders are involved (which they usually are in a WebHelp output)

Just thinking out loud... Rick