Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing toc with dropdown?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
does anyone know if it possible to replace the toc tree with a horizontal dropdown menu instead?
Have tried to find a skin that does this, but failed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

See Snippets on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at the snippets, but I do not find anything about replacing the content tree with a dropdown. There are ways to move the content tree as such to different positions at the page, but I would like to replace the tree itself with a dropdown.
The tree in my project is getting very big after expanding some topics and that makes it hard to navigate. With a dropdown, only the topics currently active are shown and that would make the page cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look at Snippet 64?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did look at that snippet, but that only changes the location of the content tree as a whole. I would like to replace the tree as such with a dropdown menu, much like the example found on this page:

http://javascript-array.com/scripts/multi_level_drop_down_menu/

/Jorgen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or as on my site?

It would be quite a bit of work. I use AllWebMenus from http://www.likno.com. It allows you to create the menu structure and point each option to the page. You have to browse to each page or type in its path. Compared to just dragging a topic to the TOC it would be considerably more time consuming.

You would also have to upload the menu script separately whenever it changes. You would still have to create a TOC for breadcrumbs to work but you would deny access to that by deselecting the TOC option in the wizard. I suspect there would be a clash between the menu position and the breadcrumbs so you might have to give up on those.

You would also need to test that RH does not mess with the code.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just like the menu on your site. :-)

Ok, thanks for the answer. Then I know which way to proceed. I did think about that way of doing it, but I wanted to check if someone knew an easier way before digging in to the work needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp