4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 9:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

Decompiling SWF Files

Have recently taken over maintenance of an existing site and there is an swf object that requires a change. Client can't find the .fla file. Is there a way to decompile the swf in Adobe Flash?
        • 1. Re: Decompiling SWF Files
          Level 7
          silentC,

> Have recently taken over maintenance of an existing site and there
          > is an swf object that requires a change. Client can't find the .fla file.

Ouch!

> Is there a way to decompile the swf in Adobe Flash?

Not in Flash itself, but there are 3rd party decompilers out there (just
          Google "decompile SWF" and you'll see a bunch; prices vary). Be aware that
          SWF decompilation is one of those "your mileage may vary" endeavors.
          Depending on the complexity of the original setup, you may find that
          reverse-engineered FLAs don't always behave as expected.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Decompiling SWF Files
            Level 1
            David,

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of a Google before posting and actually went as far as downloading one 3rd party decompiler but of course it doesn't do the full job until you pay the license fee. Just thought there might have been a tool in the CS3 suite itself or something.

It's a one off, not sure if I'll have much use for a decompiler in the future, but I'll run it past them and see if they want to pay the license fee. Trouble is, it's a spelling error that needs fixing, so a bit embarrassing for them!

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Decompiling SWF Files
              Level 7
              silentC,

> It's a one off, not sure if I'll have much use for a decompiler in
              > the future, but I'll run it past them and see if they want to pay
              > the license fee.

There might have even been some free ones, years ago ... but I haven't
              kept up.

> Trouble is, it's a spelling error that needs fixing, so a bit
              > embarrassing for them!

Ha! Well, that'll do it. ;) Good luck with this one.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 4. Re: Decompiling SWF Files
                Level 7
                On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 01:16:20 +0000 (UTC), "silentC"
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Have recently taken over maintenance of an existing site
                > and there is an swf object that requires a change.

For minor changes like texts or graphics you don't need to decompile
                the SWF. Just edit it with a tools like http://home.flashdig.com which
                can do any minor changes in text, graphics, sounds and actionscripts.
                If you doubt how to edit your file you can send an email request to
                email, shown at that page, and you'll get help.

SWF decompilers may damage your original movie, when restore FLA file,
                because a lot of information, stored in the original FLA, is lost when
                SWF file is exported. SWF to FLA conversion is not a "lossless" one.