9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2008 3:32 AM by RobWellington

Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback

serialGardener Level 1
      I know I'm not the only one experiencing this, but past posts about these constant crashes haven't really been addressed. I'm hoping someone from Adobe can address this or someone who has found a fix for this.

I am using Director 11 on a (new) Intel Mac (1.83 ghz 1 GB memory) running Leopard. I do not have this problem with any other programs - some of them memory intensive like Flash 8 and Photoshop PS2 - JUST Director 11. I have tried all the fixes suggested in the support documentation to no avail. My OSX software includes all updates. I have downloaded and installed the new patch for Mac. I have reinstalled Director 11 twice (once from the desktop). Nothing works.

These constant crashes (Director 11 has unexpectedly quit) happen both in authoring mode and projector playback. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this, i.e., it doesn't only happen when I'm doing a particular thing - it's all random. The dir files I am working with are upgraded Director MX2004 files. Until this is addressed, Director 11 is of no use to me as I certainly can't distribute projectors that keep crashing. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
          destanley
          I'm having the same problems. It appears to crash most often whenever I'm importing previous projects that use text members, embedded fonts, or try to manipulate text members or create new fonts. I've also noticed that copying text members causes crashes.

There are also some funny glitches that appear before a crash, such as the title of a cast member appearing about 20 pixels down from where it's supposed to be, even when I type in that field.

It's maddening and hard to believe that such obvious actions would cause such dramatic crashes without Adobe having noticed. Did anyone even test this software? And if they did, did they try to import pre-11 projects?
          • 2. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
            AGSDeveloper
            We have been a director shop for 9 plus years and think we have had enough. I was hopeful the D11 (adobe influenced) would be more stable. NOT. We are now moving on to other platforms. Can't wait around for D12 hoping they finally get their act together.

Too bad, Director has a lot of potential.
            • 3. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
              serialGardener Level 1
              destanley - you're right, it is a text/font problem. Just curious - how far back in Director were your previous projects originally created? I am finding that my dir files originally created in either 8.5 or MX2004 work fine, it's the older ones originally created in Director 6 (even though they had continually been upgraded to 8.5 and MX2004 over the years) that continually crash on Intel Mac during authoring as well as projector playback. I also find it interesting that I can (after LOTS of frustrating crashes) make a Windows Vista projector on my Intel Mac that works just fine in Vista. Is this your experience as well?

AGSDeveloper - I feel your pain!
              • 4. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
                RobWellington Level 1
                Dear knights of Crashalot

I know not what persuades Director to crasheth mine Mactel with such ardor but verily I say this program is $%#@ed!!

I have been using Director since it was called VideoWorks (MacroMedia was still called MacroMind!) and though I love Director dearly all I prayed for in this new version was stability. Unfortunately we seem to have scant new features in return for less stability.

To misquote the French rampart officers in Monty Python's Holy Grail: I fart in its general direction.

Sir Savealot
                • 5. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
                  mziskandar Level 1
                  Yup.. me too...

Not just that, my Firefox keep crashing when trying to open www.adobe.com (while loading those unnecessary heavy animation.on the page background). I came to this Director forum through my previous bookmark.

I believe those (mine) crashes due to the latest Shockwave player
                  • 6. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
                    RobWellington Level 1
                    Dear knights of Crashalot

I just uninstalled my m-audio Firewire driver on a hunch (it's crap) and, after 15 minutes, Director hasn't crashed - amazing!

I suspect that Adobe test their products on virginal machines and, for those of us living in the real world with a variety of hardware (no chastity belts), we need to reflower our machines. (Oooo - I love making up new words! But I think that's actually a new cosmetic procedure popular with Islamic women in Britain.)

Hmmm - now I have to spend =$800 on a new audio interface coz Director is 'sensitive'.

Not good enough!

Sir Savealot
                    • 7. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
                      Romeo.Marian Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: RobWellington
                      I suspect that Adobe test their products on virginal machines and, for those of us living in the real world with a variety of hardware (no chastity belts), we need to reflower our machines.

Why don't you visit India and buy a new computer from Bangalore?

• 8. Re: Constant crashes in D11 authoring AND playback
                        RobWellington Level 1
                        Dear Romeo

Where for art thou? Doest thou think India has virtuos power supplies?

Sir Savealot