3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 1:38 PM by Necromanthus

Bone driven animation issues

anton980
      Hello! Thought I'd start a topic regarding bone-related issues in Director, perhaps it would be beneficial not only to me but to anyone else having problems in that department.

Issue #1 - does Director support bone stretching when exported out of 3D Studio Max? All of my tests show rotational and positional changes which work great, but any kind of stretching on bones does not export. Am I missing something, hopefully? It's essential for the face rig I'm working on (next issue)

Issue #2 - I have a bone rig for facial animation. I am using dummy objects to move bones. It's a pretty standard setup - the sample image is here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/anton980/3D%20Stuff/Face_Rig.jpg This poses a problem when I export the whole thing into Director, however. Either Director doesnt like the dummy objects and the animation doesnt get transfered, or the bones are not linked correctly to be used in Director. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up a similar rig and getting it to work in Director, or do I need to seek other methods to animate the face?

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for suggestions!

Anton.
        • 1. Re: Bone driven animation issues
          Nanomedia Level 1
          Issue #1 - all the SW3D exporters do not support bone stretching animations.
          Try to scale a bone of your own skeleton and see the result.

Issue #2 - if you're using dummy objects to move bones pay attention to the hierarchy!
          Also don't forget to group them all (including the mesh) before exporting.
          • 2. Re: Bone driven animation issues
            anton980 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Nanomedia

Issue #2 - if you're using dummy objects to move bones pay attention to the hierarchy!
            Also don't forget to group them all (including the mesh) before exporting.

Thank you very much for your response! Stretching bones would help me a lot for facial animations, but I guess I'll have to do without them.

Regarding the dummy's place in the hierarchy - I cant just link a bone to a dummy, I need to go through position/look-at constraints and I had a feeling those wouldnt be carried over to Director, or does it matter? If I uploaded a file I'm working on, would you be able to see if you can get it to work with Director? Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Bone driven animation issues
              Necromanthus Level 2
              If you're looking for bone stretching and facial animation, there're two methods:
              1) link few dummies to the bones chain (and you'll get a mixed keyFramePlayer / bonesPlayer animation).
              2) use bones only (you'll need more bones, but you don't need the keyFramePlayer).
              Augustin has a nice example (workaround) about "morphing": http://www.onwine.com.ar/demos/morphing.html

cheers