8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 3:39 AM by Newsgroup_User

Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...

Level 7
      I'm guessing I must be missing an Xtra or something, but whenever I use a
      Background Transparent ink on a bitmap, it looks fine in Authoring mode, but
      in the projector, I get ugly white pixels all around the part that's
      supposed to be transparent. I tried putting various Xtras into the
      project's Xtra's folder to no avail, can't figure out which one it's
      supposed to be. It's either that, or maybe the images are being compressed
      somehow and the pixels that are supposed to be pure white (transparent) are
      instead being messed up to be just off-white, and thus not transparent.
      Either way, I absolutely need to fix this - any ideas?

• 1. Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
          code1234
          Try using a single layer Photoshop file with a transparent background then import into Director as 32bit. This yields really nice transparencies with the antialiasing intact. Also it doesn't seem to be affected by compressing to shockwave or projectors.

I've used this for using a photo or graphic with a hole in it, so I could animate behind it. Worked really well for me.

Note: cutting and pasting from photoshop to the paint or cast windows won't work-- only the import with 32bit selected.

P.S. forgot to mention, I've had the same problem when importing jpgs or bitmaps. Sometimes the white doesn't go transparent even in authoring mode.
          • 2. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
            Level 7
            That's not the problem I'm having at all - I'm talking straight BMPs, no
            alpha, with Background Transparent ink. If I want good alpha, I use PNGs.
            (PSD files suck for alpha because they have it pre-multiplied, and you end
            up with a halo if it's against a different color.) But this isn't about
            alpha, it's about the Background Transparent ink, which works perfectly fine
            in the Authoring environment, but is killed in Projector. Isn't there any
            way to force it not to compress the graphics on compile and wreck the
            transparency in the process?

• 3. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
              Level 7
              There is an option in the Property Inspector for the bitmap member. On
              the Bitmap tab. It is "Compression". If you set it to "Standard", then
              it will not compress it.
              • 4. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
                Level 7
                What was being suggested, and it's a sensible option, is to avoid using
                bgTransparent inks by importing 32-bit images with transparency where
                required (that is, where the ink setting would otherwise be making the
                image transparent).

Is it possible that your members are being compressed when published?
                When you look at the Bitmap tab in the PI for any of your troublesome
                members, what are the settings for imageCompression and imageQuality? At
                the least, try setting Compression to Standard.
                • 5. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
                  Level 7
                  > What was being suggested, and it's a sensible option, is to avoid using
                  > bgTransparent inks by importing 32-bit images with transparency where
                  > required (that is, where the ink setting would otherwise be making the
                  > image transparent).

But doesn't that basically multiply the amount of memory needed for each
                  graphic cast member by 50%? I mean, there's a lot of them, and Director
                  executables are pretty bloated as it is, there's no sense in just adding all
                  that data when there's an ink setting (Background Transparent) specifically
                  designed to do exactly that. At any rate, I never use straight PSD files in
                  Director, because pre-multiplied alpha always looks terrible against any
                  background color other than the one that's built into the image. PNGs are
                  not only much smaller, but they consistantly look much better against any
                  background. But that's not an issue here, because I *want* a hard-edged
                  transparency in this case, there's absolutely no need for a full 8-bit
                  grey-scale alpha channel to be tacked onto every image when all I want is
                  0/1 invisible/visible.

> Is it possible that your members are being compressed when published? When
                  > you look at the Bitmap tab in the PI for any of your troublesome members,
                  > what are the settings for imageCompression and imageQuality? At the least,
                  > try setting Compression to Standard.

All I found was the global setting, so right now I'm not compressing ANY
                  images - and my EXE size just doubled. Though it does work now, just more
                  bloated than I'd like. I think I may need to selectively set the
                  compression settings for those sprites which have no need for transparency
                  vs. those which do...

• 6. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
                    Level 7
                    > But doesn't that basically multiply the amount of memory needed for each
                    > graphic cast member by 50%?

I don't think so. It's another 8 bits on top of your (presumably) 24
                    bits already present, so it would add a third of the existing bitmap's
                    footprint.

Besides which, AFAIK Director composites with Copy ink faster than any
                    other ink type, so you might find you get better performance. And if you
                    were to use PNGs, you'd also have a smaller file size.
                    • 7. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
                      Level 7
                      > All I found was the global setting, so right now I'm not compressing
                      ANY
                      > images - and my EXE size just doubled. Though it does work now, just more
                      > bloated than I'd like. I think I may need to selectively set the
                      > compression settings for those sprites which have no need for transparency
                      > vs. those which do...

Did you read my last message? I gave you specific instructions for how
                      you can adjust this setting per member, not globally...

Here it is again...

There is an option in the Property Inspector for the bitmap member. On
                      the Bitmap tab. It is "Compression". If you set it to "Standard", then
                      it will not compress it.
                      • 8. Re: Background Transparent bitmaps look terrible in Projector...
                        Level 7
                        Mike Blaustein wrote:
                        > There is an option in the Property Inspector for the bitmap member. On the
                        > Bitmap tab. It is "Compression". If you set it to
                        > "Standard", then it will not compress it.

AFAIK, it will use RLE (run-length encoding) compression, which is lossless.
                        So still some compression, but without jpeg-artifacting.

Andrew