10 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2008 8:09 AM by Rowan

Need help creating a glass tube

Good day,

I have been asked to create a flash page for navigation on a site. The idea is that the graphic will look like a molecule structure. This is what I have come up with thus far:

http://www.pharmadirections.com/NewPage1.html

I am not happy with the look of the black rods that connect the red balls! I would like to have a more 3d look to them, but I am at loss on how to do it (the same goes for the red balls).... This graphic was created in Ilistrator then imported to Flash.

Does anyone have an exmple of creating such a structure in Flash?
        • 1. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
          clbeech Level 3
          i think the biggest issue here (and it not too bad hey) is that you should offset the highlight locations on the balls and add a little reflected light. the same would be true of the bars a linear gradation on them would help a bunch as well as using a little alpha transparency to give them a 'see through' aspect as well.

All of these thing can be done in the Flash IDE and there are some great controls for the positioning of the gradients.

give me a few minutes and I'll demo.
          • 2. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
            Rothrock Level 5
            Go to google and do an image search to see what others look like. I just did that and what I notices was that the highlights on the balls weren't in the center of the circle.

I also noticed that the "tubes" were usually thinner and that they also had a highlight that ran along their length. You can accomplish that with the linear gradient tool.

Of course if you really want it to pop it needs to have the highlights be in slightly different places for each item depending upon where they are in relation to the imaginary light source.
            • 3. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
              clbeech Level 3
              here's an the example constructed in Flash - FLA download - HERE
              • 4. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                Rothrock Level 5
                Very nice. Far better than I could do!
                • 5. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                  Level 1
                  Yes, very nice.

How did you actually create this? Can you provide a quick tutoral on create the tubes?
                  • 6. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                    clbeech Level 3
                    thanks guys - but it was just quick. It would be tough to do a tut in text - and atm i don't have anything to record with - although I may have something in a day or so - I'll post it to the same thread in the Flashgods forum and give a link in this thread.
                    • 7. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                      Level 1
                      Thanks, no real hurry. Get to it when you can...

One question though, did you use Flash to create the tube?
                      • 8. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                        clbeech Level 3
                        yeah this was all done in the Flash IDE - which has some pretty good drawing tools, not quite as adept as AI and somethings are slightly different, but they can do the job. It's been my hope that since Abode has acquired MM that they rebuild some of the tools (pen in particular) to reflect the AI interface a little more, and I'm sure that in the future this will be the case.

PS. the 'tube' is nothing more than a rectangle with a linear gradient, the ends have been dragged out/in to form the curves, then was converted to a MC and has an alpha transparency applied to it, as well as the drop shadow, and then was rotated with the transform tool.
                        • 9. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                          Rothrock Level 5
                          I played around a bit yesterday and got something quite similar. The big trick is in using the gradients you use. You will need to add some color points and adjust where they fall. Also use the gradient positioning tool (or whatever it is called to resize and reposition the gradient.

As for the tube. I did something a little different that what clbeech has said here. If you look at something glass with a reflection you will notice that you can't see through the reflection part as well as you can see through the parts without the reflection/highlight. So instead of applying alpha to the whole clip, I included alpha as part of my gradient. The darker parts were 75% and the highlight part was 95%.
                          • 10. Re: Need help creating a glass tube
                            Level 1
                            Any chance of seeing your example? Thanks for all your help!